Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need some help for a buddy

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by A&P, Feb 16, 2003.

1. A&P

A&P Registered Member

One of my friends has a 79 2wd Blazer. It's got a 350/350 and all stock equip. What's happening is after he starts it and it warms up, during driving, it'll have intermittent power loss and sometimes die on him. He replaced the fuel pump, cap, rotor, and coil, hoping it would be the fix. It still does it. Throttle position doesn't matter. It doesn't backfire during the problem. It has the same feeling that he's out of gas when it happens, but fuel press is good, and the filter has been replaced. Please reply if you have any suggestions. Thanks so much for helping out.
    -Ben

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Did someone drop a ping pong ball in his gas tank?

3. A&P

A&P Registered Member

haha
    -ben

4. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

You might try this in the 4wd forum since it really has nothing to do with the 2wd aspect....lots more traffic and help over there.

5. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

module is going bad. (ECM)

John

6. conoverbandit

conoverbandit 1/2 ton status

I agree with chevyracing, my dad's 87 K-10 done similar to this, and after changing out much of what you said we changed the module under the rotor button, still done it so we figured out the "pick up" inside the dist. was breaking down. I would change the "ecm" module under the rotor button and try this.If that ain't it then it's probly the "pick-up" below the ecm,(you have to disassemble the distributer to get to it,Or just change out the distributer like my dad did /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    Hope this helps, Conoverbandit

7. BRN78BLAZER

BRN78BLAZER 1/2 ton status

I had this same problem. It turned out even though I had replaced the fuel filter twice, it was the design of the filter causing the problem. A carb expert fixed it for me in two seconds. The filter had a small blue kinda check valve inside it, which when there is no flow(when engine is shut off)is supposed to plug the inlet in to the carb and prevent gas from running back down through the line, aiding in starting. The problem was that it was actually blocking the fuel while I was driving /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif. So check to see if this is the type of filter, and if so you need to remove the small blue piece from inside. It looks very similiar to the blue plug on the end of a bic pen. This was on a 2bbl 305, but I'm sure it's a common problem.

8. A&P

A&P Registered Member

Thanks a lot for the advice yall. I'll try these fixes. Also, sorry about posting in here. I just figured it would be the same as the 2nd gen forum but for 2wd's. I'll be sure to post there next time.

9. A&P

A&P Registered Member

Just to not leave yall hangin', I found the fix. I asked one of my buddies who owns a shop, and he told me to drop the tank. It turned out that there's a litte sock filter that fits over the end of the fuel pickup line. That sock was so worn out that it folded over itself and was clogging the line. It would only do it when the pump would go to full draw. So, we just removed it and now the problem's fixed. We also made sure to clean out the tank really well, so...
    It's all good.
    Thanks again for all the help everyone.
    -Ben