Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need some help from guys who know burbans update

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by 84CUCV, Jul 15, 2006.

1. 84CUCV

84CUCV 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Well, i found this one. Not sure much about it yet. Owner didnt call back yet.
    Anyway, its a k20 with what i think is a 4" lift. never heard of the tires. Does have a bit of rust but the floors seam solid. hard to tell alot of mud on it. just need to know what to look for. Last time bought a sub i got nailed good, so this time what it to be good time around. There is one other one i will be posting about soon as well. Not sure witch one i am going to go with yet. Here is a few pics for you guys. So waht do i need to look for?? as always thx

EDIT: Got to talk with him. truck has a 355 roller motor. Can someone tell me what a roller motor means?? Has stock tbi. i think its called. Ported heads too. th400 that was built to take 700HP. 14bsf with a no spin. was rebuilt at the same time. Does have some more rust then i thought from what he said. all the above has 32k on it and he wants 2600. 1500 was for his old sub he let go of. Going to go look at it again soon. let me know what you think guys.

thx

DSC02441.JPG

DSC02442.JPG

DSC02443.JPG

DSC02444.JPG

DSC02447.JPG

Last edited: Jul 21, 2006
  2. 84CUCV

few more

DSC02443.JPG

DSC02445.JPG

DSC02446.JPG

3. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

8 lug is nice. It should have a 14bsf in the rear. Make sure that the frame is not cracked at the steering box. Buckshots are popular down hereand good in mud. They wear fast and are loud.

4. 84CUCV

ok thx for the little bit of info

5. Jimbo*

Jimbo* 1/2 ton status

At the risk of sounding sarcastic, it's got more rust than I'm used to dealing with:D , but I live where it doesn't rain. Front springs need new bushings, and it has a tailgate, AAAAUUUUUUGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!! ( I hate tailgates on burbs). Looks alright on the outside.
    Jimbo

6. 84CUCV

I would think in NM there is really no rust. Your lucky. i dont really care for tailgates either but its ok.

7. 84CUCV

forgot to ask. on the rear tires. what are those two groves in the tire? to much air, locker or ?? any ideas?

8. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I like my tailgate. It gives me a place to sit while camping.

9. Jimbo*

Jimbo* 1/2 ton status

Those two grooves in the tire? Probably burned them in there while stuck in a hole spinning the tires HOPEING to get un-stuck, LOL. Unless there's matching grooves on the other side tire, it either doesn't have a posi (gov-loc), or it's worn out.
    Jimbo

10. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

Its a 6" lift. Id say unless its a smokin deal stay away. The two rear tires seam completely bald so just remember after you buy it youl be another 600-900 into it. not no mentino that its that old with the kinda of used and abused history its bound to be well worn. Basicly im just thinkin even if the price is ok its still gonna be a money pit with a tailgait.

11. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Gonna be a money pit no matter what year of vehicle you buy

12. 84CUCV

the main reason i was going to go for it was i have the driveline out of a 88k20 sub, so if it goes i have it. that was idea anyways. anything else to look for? or is the same as a buying a k5 or a p/u? price is 1500 mike

13. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Burbs and blazers are going to have pretty much the same rot out areas. This of a burb as a stretched blazer. Same problematic issues and same rust issues.

14. 84CUCV

OK never thought of it like that thx mike

15. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

being from a rusty area, im sure you know what to look for there... like mentioned above its just a long k5, same problems. steering box area cracking, rust in the floors, rockers, doors. make sure the tailgate is fully functional, the rear tires tell me its been used pretty hard. its kinda hard to tell from the pics but it might have the trademark suburban lean... springs and bushings causing the truck to lean to one side or the other. saggy butt is a bigger issue with subs than k5s cuz theyre heavier... i like the saggybutt look though.

get us some pics of the undercarriage if you can. look at spring bushings for wear, shock mounts for cracking, body mounts, engine/tranny/case mounts, drivelines, steeringbox area of the frame, check the entire frame for cracks/welds/bends... open and check every door/window and the gate.

hope this helps

16. 84CUCV

It does help. thx muddysub

17. jolane

jolane 1/2 ton status

I also like my tailgate. I can get long lumber and steel tubing home with it down, or just lower the window and stick it out the closed gate. I don't think I would like the two door style...

Joshua

18. norville

norville 1/2 ton status

A stones throw from Pargon Mountaintop Pa
    I'd be been all over that for $1500, rust what rust??? It's a little to tall for my likes, but looks pretty solid for our area. The tail gate could be an asset like sticking lumber out the back or rolling down the rear window for a nice breeze.

Hummer tires I now aren't the best but I've seen for like $300 for four.

I agree they are all money pits..

bob

19. 84CUCV

yea, they are all money pits...

20. eclipse

eclipse 1/2 ton status

$1500 with a 355 roller motor with 32k... not bad, and a th400 is a plus. You'll want to replace that 14sf. For 1500 I'd go for it. Not a bad start. But then again, seems like suburbans are easy to find lately and when I bought my 89 I had alot to choose from.