Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need some help getting a spark!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by copedrake, Jun 11, 2006.

1. copedrake

copedrake Registered Member

Hey guys, i was wondering if you could help me with the problem i have on my 1/2 ton 85 sierra.

Yesterday, i was putting a new amp and sub into my truck and while doing so i managed to do something pretty dumb. the power wire running to the battery( with out a fuse in it yet ....ofcourse) caught the trucks ground and burnt the wire all the way to the battery. not to the amp, so that is ok, but it smoked alot and i umplugged the battery and pulled the wire out.

so today it wont throw a spark when trying to start. the battery reads 12 volts, andthen i went to the BAT connector on the distributor and didnt get 12 volts. i went to the fuses and they are all fine. i pulled the plug wire and couldnt get a spark out of it. the connection to the starter from the battery is fine as well. in the manual it shows coming off of the distributor 4 wires going into an engine control module ( the computer of the truck?) and i cant find the module in the manual or the truck.

at this point can anyone throw me something to get a spark out of the truck? i gotta get to work in the morning and get this damn thing running. ill be back tonite to work on this. thanks

2. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I think that you could have friend your coil or igintion module in your distributor. I'd go ahead and get a new cap, coil, rotor, plugs, iginition module, and wires. If it doesn't work then you just gave a tune up to an engine that doesn't run.

Double check that you are getting power to the distributor. The power wire is the one that comes off the front and is red and has its own separate clip.

3. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

My suspicions is that you blew the fusable link off the starter that goes up to the junction block on the firewall. Do you have power to anything inside the truck?

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Are you getting voltage at the fuse panel? Lights?

You've got fusible links between the starter and the fuse panel (2 at least) if you aren't getting voltage from the fuse panel, that's more than likely the problem. Voltage to everything (except starter) comes through those links.

If you've got any other power, likely not the problem though.

5. copedrake

copedrake Registered Member

thanks for the help so far, yes i have power to everything else on the truck, lights, radio etc.

now if i follow the wires from the starter to the fire wall there should be a fuse there? i will check that out thanks.