Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need some help, Grilling with Charcoal

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by sled_dog, Jul 24, 2005.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Dad has always taken care of the grilling. Well I'm not doing so hot so far. At least that I think of. So anyway, I pyramid the coals, good bit of lighter fluid(enough it flares up at me) and they don't stay lit for more then a few minutes. Bag says should be about 15 minutes before they die down and turn grey. So whats up? Is this normal and I should just walk away? I'm using kingsford coals and fluid. Its what my dad has always used so thats what I got.

2. Stomper

Stomper ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ GMOTM Winner

You need to let the fluid soak in for 5 minutes or more before you light it.

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

thanks

4. bigcountryk5

bigcountryk5 1/2 ton status

first let fluid soak in for approx 5 min. next go get yourself a charcoal chimney it helps get the coal all going to the same temp and allows some better control while cooking Look here for what i'm talking about

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

x2

soaking the charcoal with a good amount of fluid... waiting a few mins and then lighting works best.

Also, those 'coal chimney things are the bomb. I love mine. Takes 2 pieces of newspaper and zero lighter fluid to make a great bed of coals. Good design and they are dirt cheap too. I got mine for like $6.99 or something at a drug store. I had seen them years ago at my brother in laws house and thought about making my own... but for $7, its not worth the effort even for a cheap azz like me. :)

j

6. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I agree on letting the fluid soak for a few minutes. Then I douse some more on it right before I fire it up. Then I walk away and come back in about an hour. Scatter the coals and its perfect temp all around the grill.

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

got it going, after lighting, walking away, coming back, lighting, walking away, a few times, they are going now. Thanks guys, I'll remember to soak first from now on.

8. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Gotts to use lots of lighter fluid too. Cand just use a few squirts. Takes at least 1/2 cup then let it soak in to to get a fair size pile of coals going. So pour that stuff on! Think Burn baby burn!

9. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I use "Matchlight" charcoal. Normally I put the charcoal on just one half of the grill. And the meat over the other half. I don't pyramid the coals, just a pile. Works well for me, and I grill alot.

10. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

this idea works good, I made one befor i ever saw that thing ( people are always steelin my ideas)

took a tomato juice can or a coffie can and punched a boat load of holes in the bottom and sides, i use no fluid and natural charcoal (not brickets) just drop a small chunk of fire starter in the bottom and dump the coals over 10 min later the whole thing is red hot, just dump it in and put the grill on !!!

11. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Those charcoal chimneys are the shiznit...

About 2 sheets of newspaper balled up in the bottom of it and it lights every time with NO lighter fluid at all.

The chimney helps to concentrate the heat so ALL the coals are ready at the same time....plus, all your food doesn't taste like you used a gasoline marinade on your steaks!!!!

Tortilla Man hath spoken....rock on.

12. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Going to have to get myself one of them(or just a coffee can). I finally got it all working for me yesterday. Outer coals were hot but the middle ones cooked. Overcooked the steaks a little bit, but its all good, they still tasted good.

13. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

try spreading them thiner, just shake the grill back and forth (pre meat) so they level out a bit, they wont be that red rd hot but you want to slow cook with charcoal, because it is WAY hotter that gas.

i use a small cheap portable gas grill to put my charcoal in and it warped, and all the handles melted/ broke off from the heat.

nice slow grilling is the best...... mmmmm i got a years suply of meat in the freezer and now i want some..

14. senatorwoodhouse

senatorwoodhouse 1/2 ton status

Good call!!!

These things bridge the gap between charcoal and gas. Speed of gas with the taste of charcoal. Well worth the money!!!!!!!!!

15. Codeman96

Codeman96 1/2 ton status

Just in case someone doesn't know this is a charcoal chimney. They work great if you cook with a dutch oven any too. I love these things no fliud taste at all.

[​IMG]

16. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

yeah there was a link up there....

17. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Spend the money on a real chimney - worth the $10. Also make sure you use plenty of charcoal. If you're doing steaks, you want heat to cook it fast on the outside while leaving the middle pink.............

18. Kiwi John

Kiwi John 1/2 ton status

Pink??? you mean red in the middle don't you?
    According to Hank Hill you guys are the Kings of the propane grill!

19. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

I defer to Hank on most things, but when it comes to grilling he knows jack sh*t. (I tell you whut)

It always cracked me up about that show, most people from Texas would consider it sacreligious to cook on propane. Besides, how the hell do you cook brisket (or ribs for that matter) with gas? Yuck.