Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need Some Help/Info - Pulling My Motor

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 85blaze, Apr 18, 2000.

1. 85blaze

85blaze 1/2 ton status

How big of a task is this in a k5? pulling the stock 305 for a 358. How bad are the bell housing bolts? etc..

Blaze On ----- into the $$$ pit! Dang these things can cost ya alot!

2. Corey-88K5

Corey-88K5 1/2 ton status

Home: Michigan, Stationed: Hill AFB (Home of Moab.
    85Blaze,

I've pulled quite a few 350's in my day. So your 305 isn't any different. I've actually found its 100% easier to pull everything. If for some reason you are dead set against removing the trans & t-case than you are correct. You will have to chase after the bellhousing bolts. I've usually removed the dist. and got a wrench. sit on the top of your engine (with hood removed) and start doing th top 2 bolts. You can usually remove the others from under with a wrench. Also, I don't know if you have a lift kit on your truck or not yet, but you may also want to remove the front section of your truck. You can just put smaller tires on it, but the choice is up to you.

Corey
    88K5

(Oh, don't forget that damn ground strap from the engine to the chassis, gets me every damn time!)

[​IMG]<font color=red>Girls Like Guys In Bow Ties
    http://www.geocities.com/corey_perez

3. 85blaze

85blaze 1/2 ton status

Already have the front clip and stuff off... I will look into pulling everthing as one piece... Im not planning on doing it for another week or 2 Thanks

Blaze On ----- into the $$$ pit! Dang these things can cost ya alot!

4. rich'90

rich'90 1/2 ton status

I recently pulled my 350 for a 383 swap and it was a pretty easy job. I did not remove it all as one unit. A buddy and I did it all in one day(just make sure you have everything you need, those trips to the parts store kill the day). The bolts are pretty easy to get if you have an air ratchet and some knuckles for it. I saw that someone suggested taking off the front end if you have a lift on your blazer, this is a good idea if your engine lift does not have the clearance. I have a 4inch lift and mine only cleared the front end by about 2inches. Good luck.

5. Truckfan2

Truckfan2 1/2 ton status

I've pulled my 350 about 3-4 times, once with the trans. I did it myself in a day and could have put it back in too if I had another engine to put in. It is a very easy task, if you know what size the bolts you need to undo are... otherwise take a few predicted sizes with you under the truck and even into the engine bay... it gets tiresome jumping down to get a size smaller socket. If you're taking it out as one, go slow when lifting it to make sure nothing gets snagged or damaged, it should be very easy with the front clip off. Good luck!

NEVER been stuck... *yet*

6. Bigd

Bigd 1/2 ton status

Should be a cake walk with the front end removed.Thats usually the hard part climbing around under the hood.

7. CBLAZER81

CBLAZER81 1/2 ton status

I may be wrong but i think there's a removable panel around the shift levers.I replaced my clutch and having this floor panel removed made it (almost) a snap to get at the bellhousing bolts.I may be thinking of my other truck though.Good luck.

<font color=green>Yes,I have driven over a F*&d lately!</font color=green>[​IMG]

8. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I have always left the tranny in. There is a removable cover over the tranny and it does make getting to the bell house bolts on the top a peice of cake but it can be done either way. If you pull the cover I found that the thick bed rail seal for a camper shell works perfect as a seal for the cover. From the factory they put a sealent but as it gets old it cracks and falls out. Personaly taking the tranny with the engine is a lot of extra work to me because then your having to take drive shafts loose ect. With a manual I could see some advantage but with an auto your not trying to line up the clutch so not any problems. On mine with the 203 as soon as you get the engine loose from the tranny the tranny leans back and rests on the transfer case skid plate. It ballances out real well and you can hang on the front ot the tranny to align it when you drop it back in If you have a 208 case the case may not be heavy enough to counter ballance the tranny so have a zip strap ready to suport the front of the tranny. Really as far as engine pulls and swaps it not a bad one. Plenty of room on the cross members ect. Just need a hoist that can lift enough to clear the core support if the clip is on. With the clip of like you have..hour tops and the engine will be out.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper