Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need some help looking for property in Oklahoma...

Discussion in 'Plains Region' started by fairlane_68, Aug 18, 2006.

1. fairlane_68

fairlane_68 Registered Member

Ok...I'm only posting this in here for the simple reason that I think you guys can help me out the most. I know you don't know me well, but that'll change now that I know FOR SURE that I'll be stationed at Ft. Sill, instead of Ft. Bragg, NC, which was where I was going to go.

I get out of the Army in 18 months. I plan on setling down in the Enid area, or at least in the Northern part of OK, within decent driving distance of various off-road parks and such, as well as being centrally located to accomodate my other interests. I'm seriously considering opening up a 4x4 shop, catering to mainly full-size trucks like Bronco's, Blazer's, as well as the pickups and variations of them that people build. Obviously, I'd have to include Jeeps or I would starve, and you can't have a 4x4 shop without working on a jeep or two now and then.

I really think I could get the idea off the ground, but I need some help. I can get quite a few shop tools using my paychecks, but I'll still have to get a loan to get the property, building, a place for me to live, and whatever else I need to run a shop. I'm not a stranger to starting a new shop, but this'll be the first one that I've opened myself. I need help with both locating property, and maybe some of the bigger more expensive shop tools and equipment like lifts, lathes, whatever. I need property big enough for a large shop, storage space, my own house, and maybe a test driving area. If anyone here can help, I'd appreciate it. I've looked at Realtor websites, and there's very few listings other than apartments. I have no concept of acreage as far as land size goes, so a PM with pics would be extremely helpful. My sister and her husband live in Enid, and they're helping out as best they can.

Any help at all will be greatly appreciated, no matter what it is. Thanks guys.

2. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Well I won't try to deter you and tell you that I think that the Enid area is a pisshole. Just compared to what we have going on, and everytime I hear a stolen vehicle broadcast over OHP, it originates from Enid, I call Enid a pisshole:D :D :D

As for starting a 4x4 shop in the Enid area, from the little I have picked up, I probably wouldn't want to be having that line of thought, but then again people in Oklahoma are slow, especially those folks down in OKC.:D

Market research. I see a few people over on PBB posting that are in OK, although most of them I don't know where they are, but from what I have seen on the state association's website, there's not that many wheelers in the area. If I were to open up a 4x4 shop in the area, I would be as diversified as possible to keep from starving. Although you may love to work on the rigs that actually see some hardcore flexing 4x4 action, reach out to the mall crawler crowd. There's more of them around here than real wheelers and those guys usually have money, or mommy and daddy's money.

Also do your research into vendors. There are a few that don't require any money upfront, but there's some out there with real good products that require a buy-in and it's not chump change either. Also keep up to date on vendor prices. You will need at the bare minimum a state tax permit, which if I recall correctly is only $25, but you may have to deal with municipal stuff and keep up to date on it.

3. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

Hey buddy who you callin'..................The 4x4 community is quite large in the north/central eastern side of the state, but they aren't cyber wheelers. Ther are a couple of well established shops in the state, but it could use a all purpose shop centrally located. Enid would not be a good choice in my opinion. The reason you don't see so many in the central part of the state is the lack of trails relatively close. It doesn't take much to get half a dozen folks together, though, if you try. Heck, my junk hasn't been wheelin' in over a year, but it gets baby steps closer. Once I get into the new house, it should progress rapidly to completion.

John

4. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

I agree Enid would suck for location. You would be better off looking in the eastern side of the state where there is more trails. But the again there is already a few shops in that area already.