Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need some help on decoding a VIN. (looking for axles)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Codeman96, Jan 21, 2006.

1. Codeman96

Codeman96 1/2 ton status

I found an '84 1/2 ton in the salvage yard today with both axles still in tact. From what I can gather it was originally a diesel. I have the VIN but could not find the axle code on the truck. Can it be located through the VIN? IF not what ratio would that year diesels have had?

VIN- 1GCEK1HC9ES107683

Thanks for the help.

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Check the forum for a link from dremu to his page with all the brochures.

If there is a truck one up (would have to be pickup, not K5) then it will almost certainly tell you what gear was in there. Of course, CA or FED as a destination sometimes matters, as do other things. (transmission for instance)

It is best/easiest to pull both covers off. Most yards I've dealt with will give you a pan for the oil, and let you go out and pull the covers off. 1/2" socket on a ratchet will get the covers off, maybe a flat blade screwdriver to make breaking any seal easier. Will need to get at least one tire on each axle off the ground, if they are still stock, to rotate the carrier enough to get the numbers.

Now you'll know the exact ratio for each axle (stamped on the outside edge of the ring gear) AND the condition of the assemblies in regards to the carrier. There is no telling what has gone on with that truck since it was built, you could find mismatched axles, worn components, gears numerically lower than stock, you name it.

3. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

GM's parts departments can often look it up... they have access to lots of as-built information they can look up based on the VIN. I don't know how far back they go though.

Its no use if the vehicle has been re-geared though.

4. Codeman96

Codeman96 1/2 ton status

Well according to this site http://www.chuckschevytruckpages.com/73-87specs.html
    Diesels were only available in '84 w 3.08s or 3.42s.

I would doubt that it had been regeared from the looks of the truck so since I am looking for 3.73s or 4.10s I guess I'll pass on these. Thanks guys.