Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need some help on some AR problems **FIXED!!**

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by gjk5, Mar 19, 2007.

1. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

[FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica]Took the three new guns out today, and had some issues with the AR.

It is an Oly basic A2, I bought some Federal 50gr HP @ Wally World, loaded the one (C-Products) mag that came with it and started firing.

After the first three rounds I started having issues, the round on the left side of the stack would chamber and then the right would hang up on the ramp. Tried the fwd assist and it would just jam the bullet down into the casing. From there on out it was: fire, jam, fire, jam so I put it away.

Does this sound like a mag issue or a ramp issue? I've read good and bad on the C-Product mags, and heard all of the "replace the followers" advice.

This sucks since I already talked the dealer into giving me full $$ on the WASR I just traded back.

As for the others; another 100 through the Taurus 1911, once again flawless and the most accurate pistol I own by far(I only own 6 but still...) I can't believe it took me this long to buy a 1911.

The Yugo M70 Poly was a big grin-inducer. I am so happy I got rid of that crappy WASR, this thing functioned great, was waaay more accurate than the WASR too. Had no problem ringing 12" gongs @ 150 yds offhand (I know that's nothing to write home about but it was impossible with the WASR). Real pleasant to fire folded too.

Thanks for any input on the AR feed issue.
    [/FONT]

Last edited: Mar 21, 2007
  2. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

check the bolts on the top of the bolt were the gas tube catcher thing bolst on, mine were loose and was causing those type of problems

did you try any other mags?

3. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

It sounds to me like the right-side feedlip on the magazine may be bent/mis-shaped. I remember having this problem on the range once when I was still in the Corps, after my gear got smashed in the trunk of a car with 4 other people's gear. A little quality time with a Leatherman and a known-good magazine for comparison fixed mine, since the duty armorer was being a lazy f*ck and wouldn't swap the bad mag out for another.

The weird thing is that the first 3 rounds downrange are OK. Mine didn't do that.... not sure if that's significant or not. Best bet would be to beg/borrow/steal a couple other mags that are known-good feeders, and fire like 10 rounds from each. That'll show you whether the problem is in the rifle or the magazine.

4. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

thanks for the heads up guys, I have a feeling it is a mag issue. it only came with the one but I already ordered the ten pack of D&H (top of the line) mags that should be here soon, local shops have crappy or pricey mags.

I'm gonna try some heavier JHP ammo too, these 50gr JHP may not have been the thing to start with on a brand new gun with tighter springs and overall tolerances.

BTW: I should take some pics of the rounds that got shoved back into the casing, I've never seen anything like it.

5. 68MUDSTUD

68MUDSTUD OCD with shiny things

got a link for that?

6. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

7. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

[FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica]Well, once again my gun dealer has proven himself a good guy. I stopped in today to get some ammo and he asked how all of them shot and I told him, also told him that I thought it was ammo or mag related.

He goes and gets a brand new D&H mag, hands it to me and tells me to bring back the one that came with the gun whenever I get a chance. Gives me two boxes of ammo to try and tells me to let him know if that fixes it.

On the ammo, it seemed like a good deal; Adcom M855 62 gr. and he has it @ $189 a case, sounds good for reloadable brass since the Wolf is so high lately doesn't it?

ANyone ever use this stuff?
    [/FONT]

8. 68MUDSTUD

68MUDSTUD OCD with shiny things

Ive never even heard of it i dont think, but, free is good init? how many rounds in the case? 500 or 1000?

9. Dudge

Dudge 1/2 ton status

I'm glad to see .223 ammo back in circulation in some places. A lot of companies were filling government orders a month or so ago and everyone was on backorder. I'm going to break down and buy an AR soon. It's the only thing I'm missing. I've got a Remington 700VS, Warne Tactical base, Big River Tactical Rings, SS 10x42 scope, Harris BRM-S bipod, Eagle OD stock pack, and a bolt knob from R&D precision. I've also got a Dan Wesson PMDP 1911, Synthetic Mossberg 500 12GA 20" bbl with a mag extension, and a Dan Wesson Model 15 .357 6" bbl. I need to add a Rock River AR to the list and I'll be happy.
    I hope the mags fix the feeding problem. I've heard a lot about follower problems with certain mags. Post up some pics!

10. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

It was the mag, worked great this morning!!

heres a pic from my prev. post:

[​IMG]

Ohyeah, 68MUDSTUD: it was a case of 1000 and it seemed pretty decent. Seems like for $20 more than Wolf, a reloadable brass cartridge is definitely worth it.

11. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

Life is good :D !

Like that maggot-infested pinko Beatle song:

Happiness is a warm gun :bow: :bow: !

12. Dudge

Dudge 1/2 ton status

Here are a few pics of my LR rig, my 1911, and my SOG Trident.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]