Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need some help please!!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 85blazerk5, Nov 19, 2004.

1. 85blazerk5

85blazerk5 Registered Member

Need some help please!!!! (fixed)

Hey all,
    My 85 is being a big pain. I am getting no power whatsover anywhere. My battery is good and my alternator checked good. Could it be my ignition causing a short somewhere? When I unhook the battery cables and then reattach them, I have battery power when turned to the ACC position, but then when I go to crank it, I lose all battery power. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Ed

Last edited: Jan 9, 2005
  2. semper-k-five

semper-k-five 1/2 ton status

that's pretty weird man!!! If you aren't poping fuses, i wouldn't think it would be a short...having to detach and reattach your batt cables to ur ACC back doesn't make any sense to me either!!!! have you tied getting under the truck w/ a screw driver w/ ur key in the "on" position and engage the starter????

I'm just throwin out suggestions...atleast with that, you can better isolate your prob...atleast making sure you have juice to the solenoid...

3. semper-k-five

semper-k-five 1/2 ton status

"to GET ur ACC BACK on"...gonna have to learn to proof read prior to hittin the continue button!

4. dave_90_blazer

dave_90_blazer 1/2 ton status

clean the cable ends, at the batt and at the starter/engine

5. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

have you checked one of your fusable links? I think that there are four of them on your blazer. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif
    1. the 14 guage wire that runs from the junction block to the positive battery terminal.
    2. between the horn relay and the ignition switch.
    3. in the wire running to the #3 voltage regulator terminal.
    4. between the main junction block and the horn relay

6. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

is the starter turning? if all you hear is a click then its the starter, or maby the alt. keeping the starter from spinning

7. 85blazerk5

I will try these, I am pretty cluesless as to what some of it is, as this is my first K5. The starter isn't turning because I am getting no power at all. It was running fine and then all of a sudden quit on me....I cleaned the terminals and wires and then about a week later, I came out to start it and nothing at all. When I try to jump it, I get power, but as soon as I remove the jumper cables, all voltage goes away.

8. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i had a problem like this, couldn't figure it out. it wouldn't let any jiuce threw, it moved just right and i could get some threw but not enough to power everything. pulled the neg cable from my DD and it started right up. so i got a new one and never had a problem.

check both battery cables too see if they will let any voltage threw.

9. fatboy

fatboy 1/2 ton status

do you get lights on your dash like the ignition light? I had the hot wire from my ignition switch that went to the starter just melt when driving down the freeway. all of a sudden everything just stopped. It took a hour to find that problem. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

10. original balzer

original balzer 1/2 ton status

my vote is for those {pluritive} fuseable links
    i got rid of all mine and cured a simular problem /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

willow

11. nigsbro

nigsbro Registered Member

Hi 85blazerk5
    have you tried another battery on her? I had the same problem a few years ago on my 74 Blazer it ended up being a snapped terminal inside the battery everything would light up until i tried to crank her over then everything would die then I would have to take off the battery cable and reconnect it. see if she runs with jumper cables on her if so try another battery. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. 85blazerk5

No I haven't tried another battery. I too my battery in and it was fine....I will try another one and work from there. Thanks alot guys.

13. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

My wager is on the fuse links at the starter or junction block near the brake booster are partly fried,or the battery cables,or battery itself,as the other guys stated,but dont overlook bad grounds--make sure the ground wire from the negative terminal to the radiator support and the strap from engine to firewall are connected and clean. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

and the guy who "got rid" of his fusible links--better keep fire and theft on your insurance!!--they are there for a reason!. /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

14. 85blazerk5

I checked all my grounds. Could someone explain what the fusible links are? I have never worked on a vehicle, I am very new to this...what am I looking for? Thanks

15. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

The fuseible links are made into the wires they protect--the 2 red wires at the starter that bolt on under the positive battery cable at the solenoid are usually the ones that fail most often--the one near the brake booster sometimes fries too,its near the plastic junction block on the firewall where the red wires are bolted together.They look like a firecracker or small wax candle made into the wire--they have special wire that melts like a fuse when a major short occurs--(its best to try and find out why they blew before replacing them--dont want to fry the new ones!)
    the 2 red wires at the solenoid go thru a metal tube bolted to one of the bellhousing bolts--I've seen the wires get too hot in there and melt,and ground out to the tube,the big red wire going to the altenator often gets toasted on the intake or valve covers also.I'd check theese wires good before soldering in the new fuse links(if thats the problem).Good luck--I've had my share of electrical problems on my 30 year old corroded junks!. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

16. whiskey bent

whiskey bent Registered Member

Sounds to me like a connection problem, double check all the cables again and make sure they are snug and clean. Also if it is a side post, make sure the bolt isn't bottoming out and not holding the cable tight.

17. 85blazerk5

Thanks for the help on the links. I will check all my wiring again and try to figure out why it might be shorting out. I hate this cause I have no experience at troubleshooting, but I guess that's how you learn, I will just have to look at everything from my ignition to my battery and in between. Thanks everyone.

18. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

Two questions #1 is it a sidepost battery? If so, disconnect cables from the battery, pull the bolts out of the cable ends and clean thoroughly with baking soda and water. Are the ends of the cable swollen up larger than the rest of the cable? If they are, there is corrosion inside the cable and you should get new cables.

19. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

mights just be a bad ground, it your hooking up the jumpers to the truck block ( ie alt brackit) the jumping bat would be your ground, when you remove it it diesm mabey bad groundm check and clean all your conections first step always with electrical problem chech grounds ans clean conections /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

20. 85blazerk5

No, it isn't a sidepost battery, I have checked all the grounds, but if it is a ground, would it just all of a sudden just die? I will check and clean them again...one question though...is the ground coming from the battery supposed to come from the positive or negative? Thanks