Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need some help pronto

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 88-3/4t-bad boy, Oct 1, 2006.

1. 88-3/4t-bad boy

88-3/4t-bad boy 1/2 ton status

ok so ive been driving my truck without the swaybar for awhile. so i decided today that i would put the brackets on. so i was looking at the pic. these are rough country drop brackets. and i dont understand it. does the open side go outward or inward? and does the longer side go on the frame or on the swaybar? i dont have any pics so its kinda hard to explain. any help would be great.

2. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

Stiff Rough Country springs make your truck handle/ not roll without a sway bar.. most people here don't run a sway bar. They just limit flex.

3. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I'm with James, I wouldn't run a sway bar, and because of this I know nothing about the drop brackets.

4. DEMON44

DEMON44 Low-Tech Redneck

I'd agree unnecissary. keep it just in case, but I wouldn't go putting it on.

5. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I ain't taking a corner at more than 15 mph without one on the street . Regardless what other members think .

6. DEMON44

DEMON44 Low-Tech Redneck

I've personally only had one leaf sprung truck with a sway bar on it. I never noticed a lick of difference with it on so I took it off.

7. mr.smartass

mr.smartass 1 ton status Premium Member

same here, i've had a 4" inch RC lift on mine for about 6 months now and i never thought twice about putting that thing back on... can't tell any difference, the springs are so stiff.

8. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Well after 2.5 years , and really wheeling it , my so called stiff springs have loosened up considerably , flex really well , and with the taller tires , I ain't trusting it .

I own a home , and am not putting that on the line by driving and getting into an accident . Even if its safe , you never know when an investigator tries to blame you or your lack of certain components .

Just something to think about if you really drive your truck to work everyday , on freeways , at speed .

9. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

as far as the open side it doesn't matter. the longer end should go on the frame. Sway bar disconnects are far better then spacers. the spacers allow your swaybar to line back but the disconnects will allow your springs to move. the factory setup is a poor design. your springs move back and lengthen as they go up. so should your swaybar. with a chevy the swaybar causes binding. every other car on the road uses endlinks on their swaybars. call Offroad Design.

for the record I ran ORD disconnects, they work great. I have no swaybar now because of crossover and it's trail only now.