Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need some help quick on a code #

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by gokartergo, Mar 9, 2003.

1. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

A friend of mine just called me from Hollisterhills. He as a 83 K5 with a crate 350. His check engine light came on and it threw a code 12.. Does anybody now what a 12 is...Thanks Dan

2. milspecjimmy

milspecjimmy 1/2 ton status

code # 12 is no distributor referance pulse, "this code will flash when ever the diagnostic terminal is grounded and the engine is not running. if additional codes are stored in the ECM they will appear after this ode has flashed three times, if this code appears while the engine is runninga, no referance pulses from the distributor are reaching the ECM" per haynes

3. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I just talked to Ken about this. A code 12 is diagnostic mode or system is working properly then it will be followed by any other codes that may have tripped. In Kens case a code 14 was also present which is a coolant sensor or circuit/high temperature indicated. I told him to check for a sticking thermostat, most likely cause.

4. gokartergo

He siad he just talked to you.. He is going to tow it over to my house. We are going to replace the T-Stat and probably the sensor.. He said it is running right at 180 thou..

5. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

could it be a bad sending unit with a bad stat? causing it to run at 240 or something? just a thought

BTW post 500.

6. gokartergo

We went down a bought a new sensor and replaced it. It came back on code 14. We then went and replced the wires that go to the sensor.. Works fine now.. Thanks Dan