Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

need some help.......... tach related *update* fixed

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jjlaughner, Jun 7, 2004.

1. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

UPDATE! Its working, I had the tach and the light dimmer wires crossed. Seems odd they used a purple wire for the dimmer and a white wire for the tach lead to me /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
    Anyhow its all good. It kind of sucks though, its a 3 digital tach so if I'm running 1200 RPM its reads 120 (ie the first three numbers /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif) OH WELL! This works better then no tach! /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

OK I have a custom ground and the factory power block setups
    [​IMG]
    After hooking up the power the tach was on, so I pulled the power and placed it under the radio fuse

I located the tach spade terminal
    [​IMG]
    (this is the right wire for the tach right?)

I used a brown wire because its all I had long enough in the garage that wasn't black or red. I wired on the spade terminal and pushed it in.
    [​IMG]

With the engine running the digital LED zeros just flash in random order... no numbers just zero's.
    [​IMG]
    Tach ideling short video Tach ideling long video (right click as target as... quicktime videos)

/forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif
    I tried the power wire under the power block and under the fuse, the zeros just kept flashing.

Its a four wire hookup; red, black, purple and white.
    Red under radio fuse (keyed power)
    black is at the ground block
    purple has the brown extension wire going to the tach lead
    the white wire is not hooked up, I'm guessing its a dimmer for when the lights come on?

Any ideas? I dont have the instructions. It came from jegs or summit, seems like its a cynden (sp?) digital tach. It was about $50 and its suppost to autosetup/autopickup for 4,6,8 cyl vehicles.

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Re: TACH POST #11024... except I have pics and questions

You did rule out the simple things first ? Is the tach set for your number of cylinders ? We all do it sometimes. If not, I'm not sure then /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

3. jjlaughner

Re: TACH POST #11024... except I have pics and questions

[ QUOTE ]
    You did rule out the simple things first ? Is the tach set for your number of cylinders ? We all do it sometimes. If not, I'm not sure then /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
    its suppost to autosetup/autopickup for 4,6,8 cyl vehicles.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's no dip switches, I even took the tach apart before I mounted it to see. I use the have the webpage bookmarked, but I remember it saying it automatically sets for what # of cyl its reading /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

4. jjlaughner

Re: NEED TACH HELP QUICK.... pics and questions inside

Just pulled it out and there's no dip switches to 4/6/8 setups /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Also I noticed when I turn the trup on its pops up and says 52 then 049 then its goes to 000, once the truck starts it starts flashing the 000 at engine speed. I think its hooked up right its just not working.

Anyone recognize the tach? Its says PRIME on the back cup and i still can't find the instrustions. I need to hit the tech section of the website. I'm getting the info now for the winaldi cable and I'm going to get it running on the laptop also.

5. jjlaughner

top again, still having issues /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

6. pauly383

I totally missed the line in there about autoselcting cylinders. Are you sure on the brand ? I searched last night on different brands didn't find an exact picture like your tach. Could it be cyberdyne or something ? /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

7. jjlaughner

something like that cyberdyne, c(something)dyne is what I remember. Jegs and summit dont list it anymore (though I did notice they now have a four digit digital tach /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif).

I pulled it out and looked it over, its says PRIME on the back cover, no switches or anything I could see. Just wires coming out of the back of the housing.

before paint
    [​IMG]

8. jjlaughner

Re: need some help.......... tach related

ok its a cyberdyne industries 2 1/16" digital 3 digit LED Tach display from lasts years line pro line. The wire setup is right and its a v8 only tach. WTF /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

9. pauly383

Bad tach /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif It happens . Perhaps double check your connections. Maybe that kind needs the lighting wire hooked up /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

10. jjlaughner

11. pauly383

Cool , glad it was simple to fix. Strange being rpm x10 , but its good to know what rpm you are running when you get weird noises /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

12. jjlaughner

yep!
    I seen on the summit or jegs site this company now has a 4led display, in a few months I might drop a couple bucks and buy one then swap this 3digit one into the project truck just to keep an eye on it also.