Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need some help taking apart my K5

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Pvt. Maggot, Apr 12, 2006.

1. Pvt. Maggot

Pvt. Maggot 1/2 ton status

I'm in the process of stripping my 85 k5 blazer to repaint and repair ect. I'm trying to take out the metal part where the dash pad rests, I have it loose on the bottom, but the top appears to go under the windshield glass, and it doesn't budge? I also can't get the back of the gaudge cluster back off, I believe because the spedo cable, but i'm not exactly sure how to remove it. There prob easy solutions, but i'm too frustrated to see it.:doah: ..Thanks for the help guys! :D

2. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Speedo cable.
    Push it towards the rear to get it off. Kina like an air line quick connect

Dash.
    It is welded

3. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

The metal underlying the dash is spot welded every inch along the entire bottom edge of the windshield opening. It's decieving, because there's four bolts holding it to the FBHP, making one think it's a bolt in part. It's not. Not worth removing it for your case.
    I had to carefully drill them all out so I could install the dash in my Fiberglass bodied K5.

4. Pvt. Maggot

Damn, I was hoping I could take it out to paint it. That sucks hah. Guess i'll have to do it inside. I'll try that with the spedo cable, thanks alot!

About how many body mounts are there holding the the body on, i'm going to completely remove it to redo my frame and whatnot. Just wondering in the front of the bed there is a strip of bolts all the way across. What exactly are there purpose? I really wish the cab and bed were seperate, i'm not exactly sure how i'm going to remove the body.

5. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Not sure on the bolts. I have a 1 Ton K10 so I know very little about K% body stuff

6. 73k5blazer

You can remove those bolts, and all the bolts along the edges where the rear floor meets the quarters and wheel wells, and the rear floor section does unbolt, I might of had to drill 1 or 2 spot welds, I don't remember, I think the floor was a bolt in though. (At least my '73 did, later years they may have used more welds instead of bolts along the wheel well I think I saw in a boneyard?).
    The Quarters are welded to the b-pillars. Best to remove whole cab at once.
    For cab there are 8 mounts, 4 each side. 2 under the driver/passenger front floor, 2 right behind front seats, 2 under rear seat, 2 in the very back.

7. Pvt. Maggot

Thank you for your help, digging your k5 project, mines not going to be as extreme, but hopefully it will turn out well. I'll post if I need anymore help, back to working on the k5! :)

8. 73k5blazer

Hopefully ou can finsih yours in less than 8 years.