Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need some help with my engine

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by FMJ, Apr 26, 2005.

1. FMJ

FMJ Registered Member

She won't stay running. I know it's really hard to figure out what's wrong without being there, but i'm just looking for ideas. It will only run for about 1-2 seconds, i checked the firing order and it's definetly set to the #1 at TDC. It seems like it isn't getting enough gas. I took the hose off and it's definetly pumping it (mechanical pump) but when you push the throttle it isn't squirting a steady stream of gas. The carb is a performer 750 that has the off road needles and seats in it. Can anybody give me some ideas on what to try. It doesn't like to be choked, but it does like it when you hit the gas a few times before starting. Thanks for any help. BTW this is the first start, so i only have a hose from the pump in a 6 gallon gas tank.

2. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

I dealt with an Edelbrock 4 barrel that had the float stuck from shipping. A few taps from a soft blunt object cured the problem. No idea if this is your problem, but it solved a problem I dealt with once (since it is the initial startup).

3. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

You really only need spark, gas, and timing. Eliminate one and move to the next. A flooding carb could be it. A small tap should cure a stuck float on a new carb.