Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need some help

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by k5james, Dec 1, 2004.

1. k5james

k5james 1/2 ton status

Ok you mechanical experts I need some help diagnosing the problem with my Blazer. I had a short on both the front harness and engine harness that caused a small fire on both harnesses. I've replaced both harnesses and put a new battery in the vehicle and now it won't turn over. It will just crank and crank but will not turn over. Any idea on what it could be?

It's been converted to an internally regulated alternator and HEI if that helps.

2. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    You reconnected the power wire to the right terminal on the HEI right.Double check,maybe it connected to the Tach terminal.
    Do you have spark at the plugs?

Is the replacement wireing harness a factory replacement?

Is the wire supplying power to the HEI a orange/white wire covered with fabric insulation?

I'd check for spark at the plugs 1st and work back from there.

Check the "easy" things first.

When you say "it Cranks and cranks but won't turn over" that confuses me a little.
    I've always called it cranking when it's actually turning over.

Is the starter actually turning the engine or not.

The fire prob. took out the fusable link at the Battery.
    The fusable link will burn up when there is a extended short in the system.Prob. saved your truck from being burnt to the ground.

If the fusable link is burnt up you won't have any juice available to get sent to the starter solenoid when you turn the key.

Do your interior lights work?If not there may not be any juice getting to the cab.Therefor nothing triggering the starter to turn over when the key is turned.

3. k5james

k5james 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    You reconnected the power wire to the right terminal on the HEI right.Double check,maybe it connected to the Tach terminal.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, the wires to the HEI were fine so I pretty much just left them alone.

[ QUOTE ]
    Do you have spark at the plugs?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure, I'll check when I get home.

[ QUOTE ]
    Is the replacement wireing harness a factory replacement?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes it is

[ QUOTE ]
    Is the wire supplying power to the HEI a orange/white wire covered with fabric insulation?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it's a red one, I think like 10 guage but don't quote me on that.

[ QUOTE ]
    When you say "it Cranks and cranks but won't turn over" that confuses me a little.
    I've always called it cranking when it's actually turning over.

Is the starter actually turning the engine or not.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, the starter is trying to turn the engine on but it just won't fire up.

[ QUOTE ]
    The fire prob. took out the fusable link at the Battery.
    The fusable link will burn up when there is a extended short in the system.Prob. saved your truck from being burnt to the ground.

If the fusable link is burnt up you won't have any juice available to get sent to the starter solenoid when you turn the key.

Do your interior lights work?If not there may not be any juice getting to the cab.Therefor nothing triggering the starter to turn over when the key is turned.

[/ QUOTE ]

Everything works, it's just not firing up. I'll check to see if the plugs are getting a spark when I get home in the morning.

4. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    just a wild swag, Could the ignition module in the HEI be smoked???