Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need Some help

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by larryboz, Jul 18, 2005.

1. larryboz

larryboz Registered Member

I was looking at a 90 K5 and it runs great but then I checked the 4 wheel drive on pavement, I know not good but any ways. It has auto hubs on it but when I locked it in it was fine in a straight line but when I turned it started binding and popping. What do you think? Hubs or possibly mismatched gears because the K5 had a 12 bolt in the rear but I would of thought the gear difference if there is any would show up driving straight. What do you think.

Larry

2. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

That is what it should do on dry pavement. The binding and pooping is the front tires gripping the pavement. Never use 4WD unless you are on ground that can give (i.e. dirt, mud, snow, rocks, etc.). You can seriously damage the drivetrain by doing that on dry pavement. It sounds like it's working just fine.

Also, if the front/rear gears were mismatched, it something would have gone BOOM way before you tried to turn a corner.