Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need some help.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by NEK5, Apr 14, 2007.

1. NEK5

NEK5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Alright guys, I seem to be at a cross road here with the build. The topic in question is the blazer`s body. Now, last summer we did a quite of bit of metal work, primarily the passenger area floor. We just used regular sheet metal, but ended up leaving alot of rotted metal underneath/behind everything, which was our only choice, due to time restraints. Now, there`s still quite a bit of metal work to be done. For example, the tailpan, tailgate posts, and parts of the bed floor, upper wheel wells on both sides, rockers(we put new ones in, but all the metal behind it is rotted), cab floor (fire wall to bed), and the drop from the bed area to the cab floor is all rotting.

Since I haven`t looked at the whole bed floor, I`m not sure of its condition, but, just a rough estimate, it`s looking like around $1000. That includes the complete body mount kit, as they`re all mostly in rough shape.

Some have mentioned it`s not worth it, get a better rig, and swap your good parts on to it.

I have been toyin' with the idea of putting a pick up cab on it, use my front clip, and have a trick bed made (something like the one mikeydo5 made for his buddy).

I just can`t decide what to do. Eventually, it`s gonna need to be dealt with, so I want to start planning it out now. I can probably use my buddys dad`s garage in NH if necessary, so I have the space. I can save the money, and the time will work itself out.

Any thoughts on what I should do?

2. MuddinManny

MuddinManny Banned

It will be much easier and economically more feasible to get a new rig and swap parts over. The hardest part is trying to find one that isn't a rust bucket up north.

If you are still planning on coming to Texas in the near future, I would hold off and wait as there are lots of K5's and K10-30's to snag that are virtually rust free. Save the denaro's. If you're gonna stay, you may need to do your shopping down south a ways, unless you find that little old lady garage special.

Just my .03 cents at the current rate of inflation. Recent events unexplained in the oil futures may cause this to increase to. 0499. Sorry.

Manny

3. muddermilitia

muddermilitia ThatTrazerGuy GMOTM Winner

well Ben, this is a very difficult decision, take your time and really think it through. A year ago I was in the same position you were in, The body on my blazer was BAD! the entire floor needed to be replaced, body mounts, one of the rockers rusted so bad that it fell off. When I was wheeling I could feel the floor moving under my feet! :eek1: Its too bad you dont live closer cause I would sell you my 2wd blazer, no engine/trans, but the tub is beautiful!

A friend gave me the idea about swapping a cab onto the truck, i looked on here a little bit and decided it was the way to go for me. That same friend knew someone with a cab for sale. $100 later it was in my driveway. Its a lot easier to find a cab for sale than a blazer tub for sale. Like I told you earlier, the hardest part of the swap was when it was time to swap the wiring over. If you label everything, that will make it much easier, I didnt.

Do you wheel with a lot of people? cause one thing I miss is being able to take a couple people with. Thats why I plan on adding a jump seat in the back right behind the cab facing backwards.

If you have any more questions about the body swap, dont be afraid to ask.

-Ryan

4. NEK5

Well, I don`t think it is as bad as I think it is. We put it new rockers, so those can be reused. I want to put in new floor pans in the passenger area. As far as the bed goes, I`m not sure how much work it needs. I just know that it needs the tail pan, tail gate posts, and at least 2ft of the bed floor replaced. Its just when we did work the last time, we left some rotted metal in there, like the supports between the rocker and floor, and the bottom corners of the quarters. Maybe it`s not as bad as I think it is...what would you guys do?

5. NEK5

ttt

6. MuddinManny

MuddinManny Banned

If that is all there is, and your outer skins aren't bad, rebuild what you have. The experience you will gain is invaluable. Besides, I need a roll model to go off of when I tackle my cab floor so get busy! Quit slackin'! :D

7. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Manny you don't have rust on your cab floor! Or at least anything nearly as serious as anything that has seen at least 1 New England winter.

Believe me, I've been there before and I can see suface rust already coming back so I need to stop that rust now before it turns into rot...

8. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

DD or trail toy? What are the other probs on the truck? Is the drive train going to go strong for a long while yet?

I was going to say that if it's only a trail toy, beater till she isn't safe. But if I lived in the States, I'd do it either way. Then go stay with an Arizona brother for a weeks vacation and drive home with a nice clean rig!

9. NEK5

DD, 90% on, 10% off

Everythings going pretty good, I have a tranny to put in. Motor could use a rebuild, but not too too soon. From what I can see : cab floor, remove all old/rotted metal from behind rockers...fender lip on D/S, bottom front of P/S quarter needs a patch,tail pan, tailgate posts, some of bed floor. And then theres the normal for most rigs of this age, body mounts.

10. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

Structural is the big one. All else is pretty easy to replace. Again, if I had access to the southern states I'd go that route. My rig is a playtoy, and I'm only concerned with structural. The body can get patched, glassed, and spraybombed till the cows come home.

Though I often have dirty dreams of a fibreglass tub...mmmmmmmmm.

11. NEK5

Yeah, it all looks pretty easy to replace, just time consuming.

I`m wondering if I should just get the rig I want (diesel) and start over (build that up, ie rust repair)

I`ve just done so much work to my rig, I just can`t see giving it up to get another one, even though I still want a diesel. Is the diesel over gas really worth it in this situation?

12. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

In my opinion no. I was just discussing the future of the diesel yesterday with a buddy, in regards to leasing passenger trucks or even cars.

Why would you pay the extra money to lease a diesel unless you truly need the towing ability?

If you get yourself a diesel (assuming you are buying a used motor). You are looking at a fair amount of work and money to throw it into your 'gas' rig.

If you get a used motor, maintenance is more expensive, and imo more complicated than the sbc (for most guys).

The price of diesel has gone waay up. Here in Canada at least, it is sometimes MORE than gas. wtf? How many miles do you have to drive to make up the extra costs of the motor?

So, does the better mileage equal (fiscally) the other cost factors? If you were putting in a rebuilt diesel, then you might argue the motor's longevity, but I doubt you are going that route $$$$.