Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

need some ideas !! for my chassis wiring harness

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mike reeh, Apr 16, 2002.

1. mike reeh

mike reeh 1/2 ton status

Jul 23, 2001
    one of the last things i gotta do on my chassis is clean up the wiring harness and put it back in........

BUT I have been racking my brain (and other peoples brains) for ways to cover/protect the wire and cant think of anything worthy... I dont want to use that plastic loom stuff, and i dont just want to wrap it in tape.. this is for the tail lights and dual tanks, btw.

Im open to any and all suggestions.. my main objective is something that will last, and will protect the wire, and hopefully keep water OUT... I will have to patch a couple sections of the wire so cutting it to run it thru a tubing of some sort is not a problem............

the factory used this really bitchin hard plastic tubing thats sort of like shrink tubing but harder... wish I could find about 20 feet of that stuff

i looked thru summit and at earl's (industrial liquidators) and couldnt really find anything I liked..

come on i know you got some ideas, lets hear em

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Jul 23, 2000
    I'd wrap it in tape and then run it through the split loom plastic stuff. The tape will keep the moisture out and the loom will prevent cutting and chafing.

3. Parf

Parf Registered Member

Nov 16, 2001
    If you are truly crazy, like me, consider this. Go to your local electrical supply house, you know, the one where you can buy 4/0 welding or battery cable by the foot, and ask them for some 2, or 4, or 6-conductor 12 gauge (or perhaps 14 gauge) wire. Pick up something like Carol brand 12/4 90C UL Water Resistant SOOW CSA (4 individual 12 gauge insulated wires inside of a THICK outer rubber insulation layer that's easily 5/8ths inch thick). Buy however many feet you need. Get some metal wire clamps that will hold it tight to the underside of your truck. Run the wires to GM weather pack connectors. You can get those in what ever size you want too. Man, that wire looks like heater hose! Just make sure you use the good metal clamps to hold it up, because it weighs a ton. I shop at E & G Terminal here in Denver.