Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

need some info

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by adamforsythe, Jul 15, 2005.

1. adamforsythe

adamforsythe 1/2 ton status

First how do you hook up the TV cable and throttle cable? I can't get the TV cable to go into the little hole. I am using a cable that was used on a 700r4 and putting it onto a Th350.
    plus I put the truck in gear and it did not move. What is going on? There is fluid in both the tranny and converter.
    Thanks
    Adam

2. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

swap cabl,e cant use 700 cable with 350 or vice versa

different

get right cable, there are many different housing and cable lengths gm made and used over the years for different applications

most all will work, but sometimes they are different enough that you just cant
    but not THAT often really

right now i am about to swap a 72 chevy truck Q jet carb onto my 88 caprice 305 LG4, it had the original computer mixed Q jet on it about jhalf an hour ago til i jsut yanked it it was running way rich and screwing up probably most likely due to the fact that soemoen swapped an old non ECM HEIK onto it

the trans in the car is 700r4 witgh the TV cable of course

and well the 2 carb i dont think evne has a place for a th350 cable to connect, let alone 700r4 that never existed til 82 lol

so i am gonna rig what i can using whatever i can find around whether it be big paper clips or heavy baling wire or whatever, and adjust til i got the cable set right

you dont want 700r4 cable to bottom out before the throttle does but you dont want it slopped either

theres a small margin or you can damage the 700r4 trannies, real easily and then its too late, all cuz of the TV cable adjustment being off,

i shopuld be done within the hour, after figuring out how to connect that damn TV cable up to this old carb

car should be a good runner then :D

ill be out burning rubber tonight :P

oh and not havin the cable connected or adjusted right has nothing to do with the problem youre havin with the truck not moving, that would be fluid level, converter, pump issue

good luck

Last edited: Jul 16, 2005
  3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Early 80's Q-Jet will be the best choice , bowl vent , 700r4 attaching point , and no Computer stuff on carb . My 83 was like that factory since it was a 49 state truck :D

4. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

yeh true for the 20 and 30 series trucks and vans, these didnt get the E4ME normally although the cars and 5 and 10 series rigs got them
    however the heavier 80's vehicles (such as the 1 ton dually vans with 350 and th400 for example)got the later version of the early years TCS and a little relay control box mounted on the valve cover and held to it by a small bracket and stud and nut, it retarded timing in low forward and in reverse ranges, supposed ot reduce exhaust emissions at these times,

it all started with EST system introduction in 1980 to meet new fed standards, Electronic Spark Timing(if you look for the trucks such as the '82 K-10 with 305 and 700r4 and 2.73 axles made for 48 state(this year and model i know for a fact got EST) that are all original untouched youll see a rectangle shaped black plastic plaque affixed to lower part of tailgate that says EST and under that in small type electronic timing system) and it had the E4ME carb, and knock sensor and most of the time a MAP sensor or the other one that looks just like it(lack of vacuum hose connected to it like in my 88 LG4 E4ME- which is now the 72 Q jet and non EST HEI as of tonight)

ill scan the plaque if i can find it again, my stepdad has it somewhere from his 82 k-10 he is putting new body onto and painting right now

there were many variations of the EST/ESC system, some had vacuum advance, some didnt, some had map sensor, some didnt, and some other things, minor stuff varied depending on country/state built for sale in(emissions level/requirements), year make, model, drivetrain, etc

i know like the 86 wagons had ESC and vacuum advance 7 wire HEI, they made some oddballs

you just never know in the 80s! if you start popping hoods on '80-'88 or '89(especialyl 305) models youll see all kinds of varieties of the ESC system, its crazy,
    trucks, wagons, sedans/coupes, vans, all minor variations within each other, evne the carbs, some had just electric mix solenoid in them and others had that plus another electrical componenet inside then and a whole other electrical wires plug on other side of top of the airhorna ssembly, such as on my 88 caprice, earlier ones tended to not have two like that., some were single wire on one and two on the other like in the 86 305 c-10 pickups,

86 seems to be the most mixed up ESC year of them all, and was beginning of the half width serpentine system accessory pullies(fan crank alt but not AIR pump and a/c compressor)

but anyways way off subject lol but maybe someone can learn something form this little bit of general info,

good luck