Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need some injection recomendations

Discussion in 'The Injection Section' started by garlicbreath, Feb 21, 2007.

1. garlicbreath

garlicbreath 1/2 ton status

I just finished breaking in my new motor in my 71 and am ready to dive into injection.

I would like to do it as cheap as possible and not with an off the shelf setup, but have a few questions about what to run with my setup.

My motor is a 91 350 with the zz4 roller cam, sportsman II 185 heads, performer rpm intake, avenger 670 carb, billit mallory HEI, serp setup, rams horns, and 2.5 dual exhaust.

The heads are the 87+ style intake pattern.

I like the looks of tpi but heard it would be expensive to setup to feed this motor, and kindof like the idea of the simplicity of a TBI setup. Plus I already have a decent intake for it.

What would you guys recommend I look for?

Also, I am running a holley blue electric fuel pump that flow at 14psi, can I use this pump with a TBI or do I need a new one?

As for the ECM, I do have a laptop to use for tuning, and would like to use some type of data logging and an oxygen sensor.

I have been over to thirdgen but got a hail of funk thrown my way the second I mentioned truck, even though my motor is built very similar to many of theirs.

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

First off, I know the feeling on thirdgen. Don't even MENTION truck. The systems are similar enough (almost identical) that it's not worth mentioning what you have it installed in. BTDT. :)

Honestly, if you keep your eyes open, either TPI or TBI shouldn't be that expensive to retrofit.

TBI likely less, because you might find a truck with it, but since you have a '71, there might be enough difference that things like fuel lines and tank sending units aren't interchangeable, which is going to add cost just like TPI will.

TBI OR TPI is going to REQUIRE tuning with that motor.

IMO TBI isn't much simpler, if any, than TPI. 2 injectors vs. 8, other than that, it's a wash, except the TPI ECM's are better stock.

Other option (here comes Southernspeed! lol) is the EBL from dynamicEFI, and if going the tuning route, would probably be the best choice anymore. You can get into tuning for around $2-300, but it's not as fast and simple as it would be by ponying up for EBL.

3. garlicbreath

garlicbreath 1/2 ton status

I like the looks of the TPI setup but was told on thirdgen I would need aftermarket runners, a larger TB, and at least 30lb injectors to not choke my motor.

I will check out that other system you mentioned. WHat TBI's does it work with?

Does anyone have any experience with the holley systems?
    Like the commander 950?

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

EBL I think will work on pretty much any injection setup.

IMO if you need/want to keep cost down, either go with stock TPI, or TBI, nothing else. Aftermarket runners, TB's, and plenums are incredibly expensive, and a set of 8 injectors is probably going to set you back at least $200 alone.

185 heads are pretty small, but likely still will allow for more flow than the intake runners in TPI will allow. If you want bottom end torque, TPI will beat the others hands down, but chokes out pretty quickly, probably about the time your cam starts making real power. I'm done by about 4500RPM.

5. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

First of all how much do you want to spend? Cheap is not really good when it comes to FI. It is going to cost a bit to get TBI or TPI working with your set up.
    No. the fuel pump you have will not work with either TBI or TPI. You will need at least a 190 LPH Walboro or similar intank or inline pump made for FI to work with the engine you have.
    If you go with TBI get 93 and up ECM they are better than eariler mods.
    You will need a custom chip or do your own burning.
    If you go TBI you should get larger bored TB and Adj FPR.

If you decide to go with TPI this is a sweet ecm to use instead of the stock unit. They cost a bit. But tuneing them is easy. NO Chip burning:laugh: . :http://www.fuelairspark.com/Products/Information/xfi.asp
    All you need is the TPI hardware and stuff. Then get the FAS wireing harness and the FAST XFI box. Load the software in your laptop..... And you are good to go. A little bit of extra money spent now will have you smiling a lot later.

6. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Me?......I'm not saying a word Mr. Yeager.....:whistle:

But, now that you mention it.....:D

I've no experience of people like Brian at Superchips. If they really can burn you a chip just from the info you give them then that would be a really cheap way of doing it. Just get a complete system from a donor vehicle and get a chip burnt. (you'll need to mod your ECM to take a later eeprom).
    But from experience I've gained over on thirdgen what works for one guy won't for another even though they may have nearly identicle setups.
    I guess a lot of it will come down to what YOU would be happy with. How perfect YOU want your tune to be.

7. vtblazer

vtblazer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I just ordered a chip from Brian, hope it works out.

I went TBI with my first run at FI cause I thought it would be simpler/easier than TPI somehow, less intimidating for sure.
    The other factor was that most of the guys I wheel with are running TBI and the chances of finding a spare "something TBI" if needed within the group is good.
    (even though I have TWO complete TPI systems sitting here)

My motor is a basic 383 and Brian said doing a chip would help out alot.
    All he wanted/needed to know where the ECM #'s and head casting #'s

For my fuel delivery, I installed a custom fuel cell that mounts in the factory 1st gen location.
    The guy built it to my specs (more like wishes) and was able to get me 4.5"s better ground clearance than the stock tank which hangs 7.5"s below the frame.

8. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I hope you've changed the injectors for larger ones. Funny how Brian only needed the info you just said, when i talked to him he needed me to datalog and send him the file. My engine is only a 355 but with a healthy torque cam and he said i'll need to run 454 injectors. Let me know how it works out for you.

9. vtblazer

I suspect it's due to my cam, it's gotta be pretty close to stock or the ECM would be having problems.
    It runs pretty good other than the oscillating idle and some hesitation from cruise throttle position.

I explained all that to him prior to his recommendation.

I'm really hoping for good results as well, we're leaving for Rausch in three weeks.

10. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I don't think the ZZ4 cam is a real friendly TBI cam.

Wow, don't know how i messed that up. Thought i had replied to someone else regarding their cam and chip but guess i mixed the two of you together for my reply. :doah:

11. vtblazer

I think we hi-jacked the original thread. :crazy:

Sorry garlicbreath, was trying to reply to your first post originally myself.