Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

need some input on suspension upgrade

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by general blaze, Jan 11, 2006.

1. general blaze

general blaze 1/2 ton status

i have an 83 blazer with a 6.2 diesel. my suspension as is is a 2 inch body lift and a two inch add a leaf.

I want some high travel leaf springs. my goal for the truck is a multi purpose rig. i want to be fine in all catagories not excel in one. i take the truck to the mud the desert over rocks over snow every terrain you can think of so i want a nice all around rig. I am thinking of getting a 6 inch lift with full travel leaf springs.

so now is where i ask you smart people for help. I am not too much worried about cost i just want to get the right stuff the first time. so please feel free to post what you would do to make one bad ass all terain blazer... feel free to inclued tire sizes or what ever you can think of..

also i would like set ups that are proven. not an idea that you have been working on. i dont want to take over anyones project i just want to build this beast to do what i want without it breaking all the time..

HERE SHE IS AS IT SITS NOW!!!
    [​IMG]
    THIS IS WHAT IT LOOKED LIKE WHEN I GOT IT
    [​IMG]

2. mini_mull

mini_mull 1/2 ton status

Is it going to be a daily driver, or see much pavement on the way to play? Are you going to use it to tow your toys? If you answer those it should help you get better responses.

3. general blaze

4. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I would say go with

1. Tuff country or BDS 6" springs up front,

2. Set of 4" shackle flips in the rear

3. Tuff country or BDS 2" lift springs rear

4. Set of 1" Zero rates for the rear just to make sure evreything is level

5. 35" tires

This is a common all around set up many people go with here on there Blazers.

5. general blaze

i will take that into consideration. thanks alot for your input. of course i would need lockers as well right?? haha

what are these??
    4. Set of 1" Zero rates for the rear just to make sure evreything is level

6. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

A zero rate is an add-a-leaf that doesn't affect the spring rate. Typically 1" thick, good for leveling a saggy butt Blazer.

I agree with the other post completely. That is my old setup. I ran BFG Mud terrains btw.

7. djsblaze

djsblaze 1/2 ton status

ditto on the shackle flip in rear, has never "hindered" me in any situation Im aware of, and I do some light towing of 4wheelers. My springs suck (rancho HD) so I cant speak as to springs, but hear BDS and Atlas are good...

8. mini_mull

mini_mull 1/2 ton status

I third 1-ton's recommendation. Only thing I might add is since you already have a 2" body lift you really don't need a 6" suspension lift to run 35" tires. A 4" would be plenty and you might not even have to mess with your driveshafts, which you 99% sure would have to get lengthened for a 6" suspension lift on a blazer. You could do just the flip and zeros in the rear and save a couple hundred by not buying rear springs. 4" should also be a tad flexier(is that even a word). Also, I'd reccomend BFG AT just because I've always loved driving on them. They aren't as good in mud as the mud terrain (duh) but they are better on ice, which I assume you might drive in since you mentioned snow.

9. jagermiester

jagermiester 1/2 ton status

As an Idea for you here was my last suspension

90 jimmy

front
    57" sptings (70 ford f100) gave me 4" of lift
    zero rate
    6" shackle
    this netted me a total of about 5.5" of lift
    rear
    ord shackle flip
    63" springs (88-98 chevy) 0" lift incredible ride and flex
    zero rate
    6" shackle
    this netted me about 6" lift

Ran 35's no issues (except at full stuff which was alot)
    Also upgraded to 37"s when I added a 1" BL from ORD

And my fenders were not trimmed Except for the front and rear overhangs And your axles dont have to be out either way as mine are. I just wanted a better approach and departure angle.

[​IMG]

10. PeteH

PeteH 1/2 ton status

i would say the 56 63 swap or just link it

11. mini_mull

mini_mull 1/2 ton status

Don't forget to tell him all the other stuff involved in the 52 or 56 up front and 63 in back switch, like necessary crossover steering, definite lengthening of both driveshafts, possibly needing to move the gas tank, repositioning spring mounts, figuring out best new shackle angle, probably ending up too flexy for towing, definitely need to reinforce frame by steering box. Not saying he shouldn't do it or look into it, just don't want to lead him to believe it's as simple as buying lift springs.

12. mini_mull

mini_mull 1/2 ton status

Yeah, and he should probably throw some rockwells under there while he's at it. :rolleyes:

13. koldsimer

koldsimer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I second all of that for a near perfect suspension setup. However, pay close attention to little "free mods" like making the perfect length shackles and getting your angles just right for your particular application. I couldn't believe the difference in the way my truck rode with the pro-comp 6" lift and how it rides now with my super hybrid custom 8" lift. You have the right attitude wanting to do it right the first time. I've spent literally thousands of hours on this sight researching what has worked for who and why. Keep doing your homework and you can build the truck to do exactly what you want it to.

14. PeteH

PeteH 1/2 ton status

cost wasnt an issue right:D :D :pimp: :pimp:

15. jagermiester

jagermiester 1/2 ton status

There was a lot of additional mods necessary to run 57's and 63's. But he said perfect the first time and other than 4 link and coilovers you cant get better. Also You can still tow fine and if that is an issue you can tgrow double shocks or swaybars on to help. BUt i did have to move the fuel cell, add crossover, lots of trial and error, longer drivelines, lots of broken parts. But in the end it was so worth it.

16. mini_mull

mini_mull 1/2 ton status

Sorry if I came off wrong, I wasn't knocking any ideas, just wanted to make sure he knew that some of the options are much more involved than others.

17. general blaze

thanks for all the help so far. ya i am not too worried about cost as long as what i am buying is the right stuff and i wont have to do it again. i am still doing homework on this. and i think i might take the recomendation to only go with a 4 inch lift instead of the 6. right now my truck is doing fine i just want a little more out of it.. I want to be able to leave the ground once in a while and not break a bunch of ****. i live in cali so mud holes are far and few between. for the most part it will be rocks and desert dunes.. so if that changes anything please let me know.

Is there a kit that i can buy that is complete. I dont know much about all these parts you guys are talking about. i just like to drive my truck over and thru whatever i can find. So with all that said lets hear some more ideas. I am still studing and doing my homework. i will makeing the suspension purchase around the 1st of next month. and i will keep all of you posted with pics on my progress..

thanks to all

tony

18. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

One thing you might want to do is check to see the condition of your body lift. A two-inch body lift is probably made of nylon, and nylon can disintegrate after several years. That is why I like Off Road Designs (ORD) 1” body lift because it is made of an aluminum alloy, which will last so long that it probably will still be here after I am dead and gone. :D

19. mini_mull

mini_mull 1/2 ton status

There are kits you can buy complete, or with some help you could customize a little. Try calling some of the vendors, telling them what you want the end result to be, and then asking what they suggest to get there, and how much that'll set ya back. DIY4X (for shackle flips) and ORD would be good places to start, after that just check the vendor forum, there's tons of vendors here that sell suspension stuff. If you want to know more about the parts we're talking about just ask or search. IE, searching for shackle flips will give you many hours of reading enjoyment.:wink1: From there maybe try searching for spring swaps, crossover steering, etc. You'll start seeing the big picture in no time. BTW, you mentioned catching air, which I don't really do, but I'm guessing you'll need to beef more stuff up than just the suspension if you don't want a bunch of crap to break. Maybe start a new thread asking what you might need to beef other than suspension. I would guess axles, but don't really know what all else. Oh, and whatever you do, get a steering box brace so you don't end up with a cracked frame at the steering box (if you have cracks already get a weld-in repair).