Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need some insight on a SAS steering setup

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by the beast, Aug 2, 2005.

1. the beast

the beast 1/2 ton status

I'm going to be doing a solid front axle swap on my 98 Tahoe in the fall. I'll be running a 10 bolt or 44 front. I know I'll need to switch to crossover steering. I'm aware of most of the basics, but I need a little help on the more involved items.

In a 73-87 truck we need to use a 2wd steering gear. Is this the same for my 98? And would I use a 73-87 box or an 88 & up?

Also after I get it all in, how should I measure for the tie rods? Center of hole to center of hole? I'm assuming I'll need 4 TRE's and 2 tubes.

You also list everything is avalible in a kit. I'm wondering how much the whole kit is. I need to do some planning, or sell my wife. :eek1:

Thanks in advance.

Roger
    <aka The Beast>

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

88-up is all 2x4 box for 2x4 and 4x4. just take off all parts minus the box and install there kit with pitman arm same as 73-87 style , and set the wheel where you want it and go. but you will need to get all of it in and measure it . then call them and order the rod . thay havent done a lot of them yet to have specs on hand. i ran in to same problem.

3. the beast

the beast 1/2 ton status

Cool, one less thing I'll need to buy. :waytogo:

I kinda figured I'd have to get it all in forst. I'm probably going to have my buddy do the work at his shop. He'll be able to spend the time on it and he could use the work cause his shops new.

Going to pick up an axle this weekend. Hopefully soon after I'll get the knuckles off so they can be machined.

Anything else I should look out for? :confused:

4. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

have you looked at the ifs section yet ? 2 threads in there. and 1 is mine. found out some stuff the hard way. lots of good big pics.http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142081

5. the beast

the beast 1/2 ton status

All over them.... :waytogo:

6. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

That's pretty much the drill, install steering arm, install pitman arm, measure between the two and call us. You do need to be very specific about whether your measurement is for the TUBE LENGTH you need or if it's the CENTER OF HOLE TO CENTER OF HOLE dimension. When that gets mixed up you end up with a draglink that's about 4" off.