Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need some major help with cylinder heads!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Tshane, Jun 9, 2003.

1. Tshane

Tshane 1/2 ton status

I'm in the progress of gettin all the parts rounded up for my 383 i'm building. The engine i expected to get the heads off of for it wont work. The heads on it are 58cc heads and with flats top pistons in a 383 that going to be way to much compression. I'm dont really want to run vortec heads because of the cost and the intake i have wont work with them. I'm wonder what you guys would recommend i should use for heads??? I know the smallest chamber i can use is 64cc and thats pushing it. I dont really know much about the flow of the different type of heads. So i'm totally lost on what to use or do /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. 1972Blazer

1972Blazer 1/2 ton status

I have been building Small Block Chevrolet engines for over 20 years. i would recommend a set of aluminum heads from the companies producing them now. The aluminum heads will also disipate heat better so you can run a higher compression ratio too. They are cheap ($1000.00) and will provide any combustion chamber you so desire. It is just to easy to build a quality engine these days.

3. Tshane

Tshane 1/2 ton status

I would love Alum. heads but i can't afford them. I'm 17 and have a shitty paying job. I have a lot of other stuff i need to do with that money. I know i will have to pay some money out for heads but i was hoping for it to be a little less then that any other suggestions /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Anyone want to give me some free one....yea right LOL /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

4. blasterD

blasterD 1/2 ton status

Any 76cc head (most pre-86 Chevy 350) can be bought and rebuilt for around $150 depending on your local machine shop prices. This head would perform well on any stock or mildly cammed 383. If you are looking to step up the performance a little, Vortech heads would probably be the next logical step before dropping $1000+ on aluminum heads. Stock Vortech heads flow better than a lot of aluminum heads anyways. You can get a brand new set of Vortechs from Scoggin Dickey for $244.75 http://www.sdpc2000.com/cart.asp?action=prod_detail&catid=277&pid=140. Chevy High Performance did a Tech article about small block chevy heads a while back check it out for more info on flow bench numbers. http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/techarticles/41598/index.html I understand your situation, If you pick your parts carefully you can get a very well performing engine for very little cash.

5. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

Thats 244.00 per head. Don't forget freight and tax... /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

6. Tshane

Tshane 1/2 ton status

SD8060AG Vortec Head Kit, Edelbrock Performer RPM Air Gap $779.95

I was lookin at this kit and i see that it comes with a performer RPM Air Gap and i was wondering if any performer RPM air gap will work with vortex heads or there is a special performer RPM air gap especially for vortex heads?? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

7. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

While you'll lose some of the quench characteristics of the of the combustion chamber, you can get dished pistons from Keith Black that will lower the compression ratio. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

And yes, you are correct that only an intake manifold designed specifically for Vortec (no H on the end) heads will work with them. If you're going with a carb, then the price isn't too bad. But if you're going with a TBI setup, then you need the TBI manifold for Vortec heads that is currently sold only by GM dealers for around $300. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif