Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need some manual tranny help here please...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bigoltrux77, Sep 4, 2003.

1. bigoltrux77

bigoltrux77 1/2 ton status

My girlfriends Cherokee crapped out on her today..what a shock. She told me that it started getting harder and harder to shift, and the pedal started getting alot of play in it (clutch). Then she went to start it up in gear with clutch depressed and it lurched fwd like the clutch wasnt even being used. Ive heard it could be the master or slave cylinder or even clutch. How do i know which? If it is the clutch, how do i go about replaceing it? I know its a jeep but i figure someone must know something. Thanks alot. Again im sorry about HARRYH3 i hope we move on. Thanks again guys.

2. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

Have her step on the pedal while you watch the rod coming out of the slave cylinder, to the clutch fork. Or check the fluid level in the clutch cylinder resevoir.

3. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

I believe those have the hydraulic TO bearing...if so, I bet that is your problem..THEY SUCK...basically the TO bearing and the SC are integral and when you push the pedal, the TO bearing "expands" and releases the clutch....You best be is to make sure there is fluid in the system, and if there is not, determine if it was the MC or the SC that was leaking...If it is the MC, you can change that and bleed the system and it might be all right...If it is the SC, or the clutch, you will have to drop the transmission...Just drop the tranny and see if there is fluid all over the place in the bellhousing..also if the clutch id FUBAR'd, you could probably tell easily by looking for any bent or missing teeth on the pressure plate...

Chris