Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need some opinions and input about transmission...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by fortcollinsram, Apr 30, 2004.

1. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Okay here is the deal:

My roommate has a 1999 Dodge 3500, Cummins TD, 4x4, etc. Anyhow, at 104,000miles, the 5th gear nut on the nv4500 fell off. OKay, so we pull the tranny, the tranny shop puts a nuew "updated" nut on and we reinstall the tranny...Well last week at 108,000 miles, the nut falls off AGAIN /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif Well Mark said fock it and purchased a rebuilt nv4500 with the updated mainshaft and and the even more updated nut. Well he is stuck between selling the tranny or sending back as a core. He has offered it to me for a little less than the core value. (core value is $500 and he said it is mine for $450).

Well here is the crux of my problem. Whet is needed to adapt a Dodge 4x4 diesel tranny to a BBC with a 205 t-case (I currently have a sm465 in there). I know the input shafts are WAY different but what adapters are available for the nv4500 to np205? I know I will need a newer (1996+) GM bellhousing.

But what else is needed..If I can do this whole thing for around $1000 I may jump on it...I will probably rebuilt it anyhow so the 5th gear nut thing isn't really an issue...

Chris

2. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Tack weld that 5th gear nut on the shaft and you will never have a problem with it again.

You will need a chevy input shaft and bearing retainer. Those are available from places like Transmission Exchange Co. in Portland, OR. They also sell the rebuild kit for around $150. I once had a chevy NV4500 that I was going to convert to a Dodge diesel input to put behind a Ford Diesel and pricing it all out (paid $75 for a core NV4500 missing A LOT of parts) I would have been done with it for about $500-700 total.

3. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

You need to look at Advanced Adapters for putting a 205 behind the NV4500.