Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

need some opinions on overdrives

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 4x4k20, Jan 10, 2003.

1. 4x4k20

4x4k20 1/2 ton status

i was on the way home tonight in my 96 k1500 company truck it has a 4l60e which i really like its never given me no trouble and it has over 280k on the truck. it had a little over 200 when i got it. and the transmission was rebuilt at 170k but it went out with no warning tonight i was comeing up a hill and heard something break. it would slip really bad but then it would catch and go on but it got me home . well anyways what i am thinking about now is.. i have just bought a 205 and a 700r4 and a adapter that goes in the 700r4 .to put in my 79 k20 with 4;56 gears .it has the turbo 400 in it now but it really whines out with 35s so thats why i bought all this to make it drive better. but now i wonder if i should try going to a bigger lift and bigger tires to see if it will do better than swapping to an overdrive i have never had any trouble with the 400 so what do you guys think i should do? go with the od or try bigger tires?

2. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

personaly i am against slush boxes all the way. BUT some trucks and cars let alone drivers do need them.
    is it YOUR company truck or a truck the company you work for lets you use?
    my choice, if its YOUR truck, put the r4 in it for now and rebuild the 4l80e. then swap them and put the r4 in your 79.
    and get bigger tires, no more lift.
    Grant

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

If you are going to put a 700R4 in your 79 I would get it BUILT!! Do it the first time and you will be fine. If you don't you will be sorry. I am on my 4th 700R4, so I know from experience.Get an Art Carr, Jet, Raptor or something heavy. Its the only way to go for a 700R. Stock SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

4. 4x4k20

4x4k20 1/2 ton status

i am serious about putting a 700 into my truck .i just bought a 700 and a adapter shaft to go in it . i have a buddy of mine that can rebuild autos but he doent know about all the upgrades that the high dollar places do . thats why i am looking for answers i want to do it right the first time or not do it at all

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Get all the upgraded parts you can afford. I would ask around and see what people like and would recommend. I am going big next time either a built 700 or a 4L80E. I am tired of worrying about my tranny. Is it going is it fine. I hate wondering if my tranny is going out. It is the thing I am most worried about in my drivetrain.