Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need some opinions on the 6.5TD. Edited for another question

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by Dirty Dave, Jul 26, 2003.

1. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave 1/2 ton status

I am looking at purchasing a 97 3/4 ton with a 6.5. Does anyone have anything good or bad to say about them. I love the 6.2 in my CUCV but EVERYONE in my area that has had a 6.5TD including my dad has had trouble.

The price is right though. So let me hear some opinions and thoughts.

2. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

Re: Need some opinions on the 6.5TD.

It has an electronic pump and those have been known to be troublesome. It would be an all right engine if you converted over to a purely mechanical pump.

3. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    It has an electronic pump and those have been known to be troublesome. It would be an all right engine if you converted over to a purely mechanical pump.

[/ QUOTE ]

How feasible is converting to a purely mechanical pump? I can't see it being easy when a 4L80E is in the mix... but maybe with a manual trans or good 'ol TH400. Change the "fly by wire" accelerator pedal over to a linkage type... what else? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

4. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

The later 6.5 have had some issues, but nothing that can't be taken care of. The PMDs (injection pump controller) fail from over heating; they can be relocated. The electric delivery pump can fail, but this is "usually" a power failure of the oil pressure switch; install a relay between the OP switch and the pump.

In all they are stronger block, more powerful version of the 6.2. I'ld snap it up /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. bigblock454

bigblock454 Clack Clack Clack Premium Member

Also check to see if it has the Green Tag injector pump. The green tag pumps are guaranteed from GM for 11 years and 120K miles. Green Tag is the third generation pump, the first 2 were fairly problematic. They also make an aftermarket cooler for the pump controller. Check out www.thedieselpage.com for further information.

6. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

I dont think it would be very easy either, but Im sure there are many that have done it and had it work out well for them. I would think most of the parts needed would be available over a GM parts counter like the accelerator cable and such. The ECM most likely only looks at the TPS in the pedal to control trans. operation. Maybe there is a way to leave that and hook a cable to it. Someone who has actually done this needs to chime in with some better answers since I have no experience with it.

7. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave 1/2 ton status

I called the place today and they told me that an error had been made by the paper and it was actually a 95. The price is still good though.

Dan mentioned above that the later 6.5's had some issues. Is the 95 earlier enough to be with out so many issues?

8. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

The '95 is a plus as far as the dash is the updated style. The injection system is the same as the '94, problematic. IMO, still worth pursuing if the truck fills your needs.

Swapping to a mechanical pump has been covered at The Diesel page. Doing this swap will loose the factory cruise control however. You basically graft a old mechanical pedal to a newer one for the pedal position sensor. The SES light will stay on also.

FWIW, John Kennedy has made 260+RWHP with his electric pumped(4L80E) 6.5TD. With extensive mods thou. I haven't heard of anyone pushing the envelope with a mechanical 6.5 either. I've thought about juicing up a '92-93 6.5 with 5sp and seeing what numbers come, but I'll most likely drop the CTD in a call it a day /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

9. Supergas

Supergas 1/2 ton status

I have a 95 Suburban, 2500, 4WD, 6.5 TD, that has 208,000 on it. I use it every weekend and for towing a large boat (or anything else I want to tow) I have the latest pump, with everything else stock except the 3" exhaust. It will not run with my buddy's 7.3 Excursion uphill, but will do everything else plus gets 18 MPG & costs about 40K less. This is my third 6.5 TD & I would recommend it to anyone.
    The main problem with a diesel is that most people don't understand how they operate & get lazy with the maintenance.. such as oil changes, filters, fuel additives etc. Read the info on Diesel Page & follow their instructions & you will be fine.. Have Fun Dieseling.