Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

need some opinions, what would you do first?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by muddybuddy, Feb 26, 2007.

?

what would be your priority?

1. get the tires, drive the truck now and take my time with the tranny/doubler

11 vote(s)
    55.0%
  2. rebuild the tranny/ make doubler and put off driving the truck til i get the tires in May

4 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. im nekkid, send me all the parts you speak of

5 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

im buying a truck and selling the k5 and swapping my running gear from the k5 under the new truck. the new truck has 400/205 combo, and my running gear has 5.13s. ive got an overdrive tranny im going to swap in as well as a doubler im going to build. right now i have the money to do one or the other for now (tires or tranny/doubler). if i buy the tires, 5.13s w/o overdrive will be manageable, or i could build the tranny/doubler and then wait to get the tires. if i get the tires, the rig will be driveable immediately and i can take my time with the doubler, if i do the tranny/doubler it maybe down for some time, and then it still wont be as streetable til i get the tires. which ever doesnt get done, ill have the funds to do in May. which would you do first, and why?

2. muddybuddy

also worth mentioning, im at college, and wont have it with me at school, so im not worried about transportation for now

3. BillyL

BillyL Registered Member

Since you don't need it for transportaion right now i would go with the transmission/doubler first.

4. broc944

broc944 1/2 ton status

I would go with the tires first. The reasoning is you can drive it, that is what you have it for, right? I have doubler parts sitting on a self, I have no idea when I will get around to it, would be nice to have them in, but I do not.

The important part is I can go wheeling. That is what I have the truck for, taken apart with great modifications underway is cool and all, but no substitute for actually going out and getting dirty.

5. bigblazer87

bigblazer87 1/2 ton status

6. W7NB

W7NB 1/2 ton status

What tires do you have to run if you do the tranny and doubler first? If the answer is none I would do the tires first. Otherwise I think I would do the tranny first - but why a doubler with the 5:13's? Serious rock crawler perhaps but I thought you were more of a bogger.

7. muddybuddy

not anymore, the majority of wheelin im going to be doing from now on is not going to be mud. the tires i have to run now are 33's, and without overdrive that puts it at about 40mph tops. im in the process of working out a deal for some cheap xl's to run for now so i can get the tranny/tcases done, cuz thats alot more work than just swappin tires on.

the reason for the 5.13s is because those are the axles i built and ive sunk too much money into them to part with them :)

Last edited: Feb 27, 2007
  8. jms

jms 1/2 ton status Author

I'd say you ought to get that thing - whichever one it is, I've lost track - in 'wheelable condition ASAP and drive it. If you don't, all it's going to be is one big parts rotisserie - you know, buy this, trade for that, change plans, want (but not have any money for) XX, sell that thang in order to afford the next, go from gas to diesel, maybe propane is next... and before you know it, you're going to meet this girl, get married, get a different job, move to Manhattan, and sell everything without ever having had a chance to enjoy actual seat time 'wheeling...:D

9. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I say get the tires and wheel it. or swap your 5.13's with me for my 4.56 gears.:deal:

10. W7NB

W7NB 1/2 ton status

Still not sure about the doubler. I'd put in the overdrive tranny and taller tires and go wheeling. With the 5.13's you really don't need the doubler unless your going 44's or somthing else massive, and the OD will get your highway RPM's down to liveable.

11. muddybuddy

im going to be running 42's;)

12. 64suburban

64suburban Registered Member

Drive it! Lifes too short not to be behind the wheel.

13. FOR MUD

FOR MUD 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I say get the tires first. Then take the time to do the doubler right. That way you can triple stick it, put 32 spline output if it needs one. Also don't forget you have to make a new cross member. If you get tires first at least you get to enjoy the truck while getting all that together.