Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need Some Opinions

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by J.Lance, Jan 9, 2003.

1. J.Lance

J.Lance 1/2 ton status

I contemplating swapping my in process '68 K10 SWB plus some cash for a near show condition '72 K5 CST. This thing is loaded with air, tac, tilt, posi, AM/FM, etc... I'll be looking at having to hand over about $6K plus my '68 which I have approx. $5K into.

What do you guys think? It won't be a wheeler but my '68 wasn't headed that direction either and I'll still have my '71K5 to modify for the trails. I've seen high optioned really nice CSTs go for 12 to 20 thousand and I feel this is in that range.

My only reservation is that I will have not built it myself, but I've got three young kids and just don't have the time or resources to finish my '68 in a timely manner or the quality I would like. I'm thinking this would be a good investment, anyone agree or am I crazy?

Thanks for any input in helping me make this decision. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

if your comfortable with that, and the truck is in excellent condition (ie no rust anywhere, and everything including doors works as intended) then I'd say go for it

3. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

if you still have a trail rig (toy) then i would go for it.

nathan

4. BARRAZA

BARRAZA 1/2 ton status

Is your 68 a real K10 short bed or is it made a c10 and a k10 chassis? If it is real, and not in too bad of condition, it will be worth more than a 72blazer in the long run. Can't find my production figures right now, but IIRC a short bed k10 is a VERY rare truck and should bring more than 5k if it's in decent shape.
    On the other hand, it is always cheaper in the long run to buy a restored vehicle rather than do it yourself(if it's REALLY done right). Body work and paint alone will cost a small fortune for show quality work. Trim parts are also outrageous, about 15 years ago I bought all the exterior trim for my 72 cheyenne k10 and spent about $400bucks for OE chevy parts. Now a chevy non-repo 72 grill outer is $590 from LMC just by itself /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

5. J.Lance

J.Lance 1/2 ton status

It is a real K-10 short wheel base fleetside. Under 1500 were produced in 1968. Your exactly right, in excellent condition it would be worth way more than a comparable Blazer. This decision is a little gut wrenching for me because of the rarity of the vehicle. However, while I've started a frame-up on it (the chassis is completely done including all mechanicals) I still have a lot of work to do i.e. rockers, backers, corners, rear supports. Get the rust repaired and then spend another $5K on the remainder of the body and paint to be done correctly, add in interior, bumpers, trim, etc... I figure it would take me a minimum of $10K to get it on the road. Even if I had the money, I just don't have the time right now or the storage to have it in pieces in my garage. As you mentioned, I'll be saving time and money by purchasing a vehicle that is already done, and I also know that this guy will do a first rate job on the truck. He's already won multiple 1st place trophys at major shows in Colorado, Arizona, and elsewhere. That is somewhat comforting to me, I'm not sure I could let it go to anyone else. Anyhow, thank you for the input and affirmation! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

6. J.Lance

J.Lance 1/2 ton status

Knowing that I'll still have a toy to play with and not worry about beating it up in the woods is a definite plus. I'm looking foward to working on something for beef instead of shine! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

7. TED

TED Registered Member

I'd go for it- you can have the best of both worlds. One for show and one for drive over anything that gets in yor way. That's my plan eventually. Im working on the nice one right now but eventually Ill buy one that I can wheel the crap out of.

8. J.Lance

J.Lance 1/2 ton status

It will be nice to have the show and tell rig and not be tempted to go climb a mountain, especially in Colorado. Everyone has to have a beast to get you where you really want to go!

Anyone else out there running one nice rig and one trail rig, nice or not? Chime in and let me know what you have. I've always said that '67 to '72 Chevys are an addiction and you can't own just one! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

9. blueturd

blueturd Registered Member

You must consumate the deal so that I can hack on your greenturd!

10. J.Lance

J.Lance 1/2 ton status

Looks like this deal is going to fall through. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif The guy just brought his Blazer up for me to check out and to look at my '68. He originally told me $10500 for the Blazer but now he's changed his toon a little. He was willing to give me $5000 for my '68 but only if I was willing to give him what he had into the Blazer which is $14000. It's a nice Blazer but I only value it at around $10000. The undercarriage wasn't detailed out like I would have liked to scene it. I'm not about ready to give up $9K plus my truck! I was willing to give him $6000 but our spread was too much. I'm a little bummed but another one will come along, they always do. In the mean time I think I'll get my '68 put back together and running. Might be a little more marketable that way. Who knows, I still might finish it! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif