Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need some pics of what you guys think are "Good" Shackle angles....... Thx

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Silver84k5, Feb 10, 2003.

1. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

Need some pics of what you guys think are \"Good\" Shackle angles....... Thx

Right now im in the middle of putting 56" long springs on my blazer, And before i start drilling holes in my frame i was wondering if anyone had some pics of their shackle angles after a 56" or a 57" springs swap......... Because by swapping sides with the shackle flip it seems like the angle will be good, but i dont really have anything to compare it to, Any help will Mucho Appeciated.

2. Silver84k5

Re: Need some pics of what you guys think are \"Good\" Shackle angles....... Thx

Bump..........

3. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

Re: Need some pics of what you guys think are \"Good\" Shackle angles....... Thx

From what I have read you want the shackle at about a 25 to 30 degree angle. My fords with the ORD brackets and "lowrider shackles" gives me a sharper angle but the fords droop more then they stuff.

I can get you a pic but with no body on it ..yet I may end up swapping the ORD brackets back to the "stock" way.

-Jeremy

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

[​IMG]

Suspension stuffed...

[​IMG]

Drooped...

[​IMG]

Ride height...

Rene

5. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

Here's my shackle angle (57" springs/6" long shackles/Home Made ORD style flip in stock rivet holes):

[​IMG]

Like Jeremy said the Ford springs have more droop than stuff. Sitting at rest the springs are almost flat. This setup yields a great ride and pretty good flex. I got a chance to test the new setup last week, worked flawlessly:

[​IMG]

6. Silver84k5

Thx for the pics..............

7. Silver84k5

Is it ok for me to run my stock shackles? or should i get some special ones like you and rene?....

8. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Stock length shackles will probably be OK for the 56" Chev springs. The 57" ford springs just have so much free arch you need a longer shackle to deal with the arc as the spring cycles from full stuff to full droop.

Rene

9. Silver84k5

ok one more question, On your pic it looks like your shackles are facing the opposite way that mine were facing when i had the 52 inch stock springs on there, Should i have them facing like yours? or keep them how i had them... Damn i wish i had a Digi camera so i could put a pic with what im trying to explain........ Thx

10. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

Rene is right as usual. Though even with the 56" springs a bit longer shackle wouldn't hurt. Stock shackles are 4" eye to eye. The ones I made are 6 inches. They seem just right for my application, the ford springs compress and droop with no binding in the shackle.

FYI, my setup netted me about 4.5 inches of lift. I had to install a 1.5" block to raise the back to match my 6" front.

11. balzackks84

balzackks84 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I think i have mine set up the way you are explaining yours are. When i put mine on i came here and looked at the tech article of when Steve put his on and did that. I also think Rene's are homemade which might make a difference. Hope that helps. At least if it was wrong you werent the only one. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. Lance

Lance 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]

I have the ORD shackle flip installed on the opposite sides and moved their mounting location back (2") two inches. Those are 57" Ford Springs and a stock shackle. I have a 4" front lift and with no top , a ORD zero rate and the rear overload springs flipped my truck sits level. Once I install the top, I am fairly certain I will need a longer shackle and/or I may also have to flip the overloads back over to get the truck to sit level.

However, my limited amount of time driving the truck with this setup has been very fulfilling and it was worth any headache I may have had trying to get it to work.

13. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

When setting up your mounts, be aware that the length of your shackle effects the height of your lift. The angle of your shackle can help reduce this lift. The amount of arch you have at rest should dictate the amount of angle you build in, just enough to allow the spring to flatten out without over extending the shackle and enough length in the shackle to allow the spring to full cycle and bring the shackle back to a nice clean arch with the spring.

[​IMG]

14. balzackks84

balzackks84 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

I like the diffy cover. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

15. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

Thats mine! WOOO HOOO! A pic of my truck on the board!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

16. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I really like the added wheelbase flipping the 57's gave you and the reduction in leaf left behind the wheel. Great mod!

17. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I like it too. The biggest problem I am having is shocks. If I had large amounts of $$ to throw around it wouldn't be an issue but I am trying to do it on a CHEAP budget. I am thinking about trying to find some REALLY long shocks and then mounting them in board...but instead of buying the kit to mount between the frame rails I may punch them up thru the center of the cargo area and make a mounting plate up there and just have shocks sticking thru the floor.