Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need some prices for crate motors...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by thatK30guy, May 6, 2002.

1. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

...for my '85 K30. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

I'm taking the truck to a shop on Thurs. to get the compression test done on it.
    It's popping and smoking out of the passenger side exhaust. My mechanic buddy says it could be the rings going bad.
    So, gonna wait til Thurs. and see what kind of numbers we pull out. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

Anybody know of decent priced crate engines, both 350 and 454? And also the 502?

If all else goes wrong with the '85, I may try to get a new crate 350 and install it into the '82 K30 I got from Shawn.
    No, no big fancy high horsepower motor here. Just a cheap, good and reliable motor for a daily driver.

2. GRINCH

GRINCH 1/2 ton status

Check with pace. I found they have the best prices and lowest shipping. <a target="_blank" href=http://www.paceparts.com>www.paceparts.com</a>

3. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Support Ck5 and buy one from:

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.sdpc2000.com/cart.asp?action=catalog_start&amp;catid=120>SDPC 2000 GM performance crate engines</a>

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.sdpc2000.com/cart.asp?action=catalog_start&amp;catid=123>SDPC GM Goodwrench Crate Engines</a>
    They have been buying ad space here for quite a while and their prices are pretty good.

4. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

Scoggin-Dickey has a new replacement 350 for $1289.95 that makes 250 HP and 305 lb.ft. of torque. These motors do well with a simple cam swap. I saw a magazine article once where a cam swap made almost 300 hp and 400 lb.ft. of torque with one of these 350's. Great for a low dollar daily driver.

5. RESTORE89

RESTORE89 1/2 ton status

bought a new GM crate 230 hp 350 from the dealer with 36-50,000 warranty for $1800
    had it in since november and has run great

6. any idea what magizine artical that was or what cam it was? I am going to get that Stock Crate Engine, and probably throw in one of those cams. I dont really care about the HP all I want is torque, what cams deliver a lot of torque? Any help would be cool. Thanks 80K20

7. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I picked up my GM zz4 from Pace parts also, when I bought mine it was $3192, now it is $3595, they have jumped up in price over the last 2 years. The unversal 350 (250hp) is $1349, that is there best seller! I think Gm has one of the best warrantees.

8. Quack_Addict

Quack_Addict 1/2 ton status

Popping and smoking out one bank could be something in your valvetrain. I don't know how bad rings would make a popping noise out the pipes. A valve job is a lot cheaper and easier than buying an engine and doing a swap.

9. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I agree with Quack. It "sounds" more like a valve-train problem than a bottom-end problem. Although I have not heard or seen "your" engine. Do you know the approximate mileage on that motor? Compression checks will tell you if you are loosing compression but make sure they diagnose if it is due to bad ring sealing, bad valve sealing, bad head gasket, or a combination. If it's just the head, you could have the heads done and swap in a new cam and be good to go. Depending on the age of the motor and how much machining is in your area, you might be close to the universal 350 price. I guess it all depends on what the mechanic tells you and your wallet size.

10. Mr.Chevy4x4

I would have to go do some digging to find the magazine but I do remember the cam specs because I bought and ran one after I read the article. The specs are: 214-224 degrees rotation at .050 and .442-.465 valve lift with a 112 degree centerline. In the article they ran CompCams roller tip rockers, an Edelbrock Performer RPM, 750 Holley vacuum secondary carb and a set of Headman headers. I ran this setup in a short bed two wheel drive truck and it was awesome. Stop light to stop light was pretty impressive and it had more than enough power to pull my 20 ft. bass boat with ease. Hope this helps.

11. thatK30guy

I talked some more to my mechanic buddy and he also said the same thing you did.

We got into talking about giving the heads a new valve job, etc. Just leave the bottem end alone and while its all apart, maybe look at a new camshaft. I always wanted to try out the Comp Cams 4x4 cam. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

Does anybody think the World Products Merlin heads would be worth the money or not?

12. Mr.Chevy4x4

You would be better off getting a set of Vortec heads. They out-flow the World heads and are cheaper. The only catch is that you will have to buy a new intake. Just my $.02

13. high&liftedup

high&liftedup Registered Member

I just purchased a new crate motor (non-vortec) from a local chevy dealer here in the bay area. I showed them a copy of prices from the internet -Scoggin-Dicky- AND they honored it and even shipped it from Concord to the shop in S. Fremont (60 miles) for FREE with the exact price: $1290.00. I put in a comp cam (12-235-2) Edelb. Q-Jet/manifold, all MSD, headers etc. and it runs great.
    So you may want to show your local dealer the cheapest price you can find on the net......

14. thatK30guy

So, a new intake with these types of heads? /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

I already have an Edelbrock Performer on the 454 right now. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

15. Quack_Addict

Quack_Addict 1/2 ton status

I think the intake for Vortec heads takes 2 fewer bolts to hold down and the bolts are vertical instead of perpendicular to the heads surface. I have heard of some people drilling holes in standard intakes in the proper locations to match the holes in Vortec heads. Not sure how well that works.