Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need some puter help guys....

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by chevyfumes, Nov 28, 2003.

1. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Is there a cable that is coax on one end and ethernet on the other and if not can I use an old modem that is not being payed for anymore just to get the connection I need....I'd try to be more confusing but I don't think it's possible.... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gifHeres the deal , new house and we had the electritians split the cable into 3 areas and we were gonna hook up a router there but what my wife didn't tell them was we needed them to run 3 ethernet cables instead of coax off of the splitter/ router.... /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

coax is 2 wires...ethernet is 8
    coax[​IMG] ethernet[​IMG]

you would need a tranciever inorder to do this...you cant make the coax conduct 8 lines, so youve got to use the ethernet conduct only 2.

You can do it...there is the physical cable there to conduct the electricty...but you need to look for a Coax to Ethernet transciever...

running the ethernet cable isnt that hard...if you can do anything to a truck then fishing a wire through the walls isnt hard at all...i did all my house before i could drive.

search on google for the transciever...or consider just running the lines...

3. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

So a modem is basicaly a tranciever???What makes the modem recognize the fact that you ain't payin for it anymore???? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gifThanks for the help so far though... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

4. SCJimmy

SCJimmy 1/2 ton status

Ever thought about going wireless?

Just a thought...

5. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

The wife mentioned it and we will if this wont work... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]

Just a thought...

[/ QUOTE ]

Slow and not secure. Not my idea of the ideal network!

Cat 5 is sooooo easy. I did my whole house.

7. SCJimmy

SCJimmy 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    So a modem is basicaly a tranciever???What makes the modem recognize the fact that you ain't payin for it anymore???? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gifThanks for the help so far though... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I think what he was referring to was a protocol transciever. Sonething to convert the ethernet signal to something like 10-baseT or thinnet, then convert it back to ethernet.

You might be able to use a pair of modems in a short-haul configuration, but that would limit your speed to the speed of the modems.

IMHO, it would be cheaper or easier to just fish some cat5/cat6 unshielded twisted pair from the hub to the points of use.

If that's not possible, you can always get a wireless hub, and trancievers for each computer....

Byron

8. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Slow and not secure.

[/ QUOTE ]

well...unless youve got a OC12 coming into your house its not going to be any slower than a cable modem

and standard encryption that the equipment uses is pretty tough.

You live in the city or country?

city just get stronger encryption, in the country i wouldnt worry about it...standard would be fine

not to mention EXTRA SUPER COOL for laptops

9. SCJimmy

SCJimmy 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

Just a thought...

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed! but if you have a muli-story house, with poor or non-existant crawl space, it can be near impossible to put the wire where it needs to go..

10. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

you can find wireless routers and card kits for under 100$

matter of fact, i would get some of these USB wifi adapters, rated to 11mbps, very small, very clean. They run about 30$ a piece, then a router for around 30-40$

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

Just a thought...

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed! but if you have a muli-story house, with poor or non-existant crawl space, it can be near impossible to put the wire where it needs to go..

[/ QUOTE ]

Definitely agree there. Just figure if a dumbass like me can do three computer network in a two story house like this one, anyone can.

Router and modem are right next to me, in the basement. There is one computer on the 1st floor and one on the 2nd.

12. SCJimmy

SCJimmy 1/2 ton status

Fumes,
    How is your house constructed?
    Slab or crawlspace underneath?
    Do you have good attic access?

Is there access to the area where the hub is located?

13. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Cable company pings everyone on the network and check the IP and cable modem serial# to their computer. If it matches you stay on, if it doesn't you (your IP) get booted.

14. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

2 story, ok crawl space but limited access to the attic... /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gifAny ideas...?

15. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Utilize that, "limited access." Where are computers located?

16. SCJimmy

SCJimmy 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

You will need to establish a path from the hub to the areas you need the cable run to. If the hub is in the garage, or downstairs closet, you are probably in for a rough time.

You may be able to crawl under the house, and find a vertical path up to the attic, through an opening where an air duct or exhaust duct goes to the attic/roof.

Unfortunately, being a new house, I'll bet you have a split HVAC system, and all of your plumbing/electrical lines are run through the walls.

I would do a little investigating (crawling around) in the attic, looking for a way to get the cables down to the hub. I think you may be in for more than you want to deal with.

When I was doing residential work, we would get calls for an install like this. It was a real pain in the a$$. I have used a product called a "D'versibit", which is a really long flexible drill bit, to drill down thru a wall section, to get to the crawl space. Then I would pull the wire from the hub down to the crawl space, and over to the new location. Then, I would cut a new box opening in the wall at the location, and use the long bit to drill down through the wall and flooring. Then I would fish the wire up to the new location, and install the box and jack. A two person job for sure, and there is always the risk of hitting something in the wall (pipe/duct/wiring) or having the bit come out someplace you did not intend. (Done that too!)

You might check with your electrician. See if he has any suggestions, since he was there as the construction took place, and would know the structure really well.

Weight the cost of having him add the wiring against the cost of wireless parts maybe?

OR... Just run it on the outside of the house, like my neighbor did! Just drill a hole through the outside wall, and stick the wire through. Then staple the wire along the eaves, up the vinyl siding, and then just drill a hole straight thru the wall into the room you need it in. then just run it along the baseboard, and crimp a RJ45 onto both ends. Viola! instant network. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Installers note: This works better when done at night, and using a very conspicous wire color like hot pink or blue...

This is the same guy who decided to add a flood light in his back yard, by pulling off all the siding, stapling a wire up the sheathing, then nailing the siding back over the wire. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

He also installed his own mini dish. Stapled the wire down the shingled roof, then down the siding, along the siding on the side of the house, then drilled straight thru to the back of the TV!.

God I love my neighbors!!!!

Just my .02

17. SCJimmy

SCJimmy 1/2 ton status

Hey Fumes-
    What did you decide to do?
    Shame you're on the other coast, I'd be glad to help ya
    /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

18. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I decided to get drunk and [darn] with it later....My puter works [darn] the rest of em..... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

19. SCJimmy

SCJimmy 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif