Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need some quick answers on 205... pleeeese?

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by Thumper, Mar 14, 2003.

1. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

OK, Are all front output shafts on np205s the same inside the case? Can I interchange a front o/p shaft from a 32 spline th400 model into a 10 spline 465 model so I can use my flange mount cv shaft instead of the yoke mount one?

Thanks much!

Mike

2. j20m715

j20m715 1/2 ton status

Yes they are the same, they will interchange.

3. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Cool, the job is done. Thanks for the quick reply!
    CYA
    Mike

4. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

No they are not all the same ! If your rear cover for the front out put shaft in a late model 205 has an oiling groove or channel for the needle bearing that the rear of the shaft rides in than it is different and will requir more mods to work. The later models have different shift forks that make some differences internally and you need to change them if you want to run an older style front output.
    Just as a note on the rear aluminum cover the old style presses through the cover and the later style with the oiling channel presses into the cover but not all the way through.
    If needed I can post pics of both styles .
    HTH , Tom

5. j20m715

j20m715 1/2 ton status

Hey Tom
    Please post pics, I have never see the setup you are describing.
    Thanks Ray

6. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

Sure . It may take a day or so , I'll need to borrow Nvrenuf's digital camera this weekend and than I'll post or I may just get him to take a pic of the two that are in his garage. Bare with me and I will make sure a picture is posted.

7. j20m715

j20m715 1/2 ton status

What do you define as "late model" ?
    When did they change ?
    Was it with the round bolt pattern ?
    Thanks Ray

8. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Tom ( <font color="orange"> TARussell </font> ) is having computer problems so I'll try to answer for him.

I don't know what year the new style started but Tom has an 83 205 from a dually he used to own that has the different cover and shaft that he mentioned.

Between us we'll get some pics posted this evening.

9. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

Most of the round pattern ones that I have seen have had the odd shaft/cover ( not odd but different ) and I assume that the round pattern started in 1985. But GM seemed to put this stuff in before that , I have a 1983 205 that is a figure eight pattern case that mates to a 465 w/coarse male 10 spline coupling and it has the new style shaft and cover along w/ the newer shift forks.
    On the other hand my buddy John (Nvrenuf) has a 1982 400/205 set up and it has the older style shaft.
    I guess we need to spend some quality time in the GM parts books comparing part #'s to figure out if the change happened from 1982 to 1983 or what.
    Sorry I wasn't clear on the late model thing. I guess I meant any case that uses the new shaft/cover and fork arrangement and not necessarily a round pattern case.
    Just as a note I have seen a round pattern case that had the old style rear cover - I assumed that the shaft and rear cover had been swapped out but I have not looked inside the case yet.
    Tom

10. nvrenuf

Just wanted to let you know, I just posted several picsof examples on my Webshots page. Click the link and then go to the "Parts Pictures" album.

Webshots

(BTW - it may be a few minutes before the pictures are available.)

11. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

Ray , look on John's web site for the pic's. There may be another stump to the different shaft. It seems that some 205's built after the early to mid eighties can come w/ either shaft / cover arrangement. John ( Nverenuf ) has a 1991 V-3500 that has a 205 mated to 4L80E and it has the older style rear cover and he has another round pattern 205 ( unkown year ) that has the older rear cover.
    Maybe GM only used the shaft / cover for a few years ???So far I have seen a 1983 K-3500 GMC C/C Dually figure eight pattern 205 / a 1984 K-30 Cab Chassis figure eight pattern 205 / and a figure eight pattern 205 mated to a TH400 - believed to be a early eighties case that all had the different shaft/ cover , but I have seen later models w/ the older shaft.
    Tom

12. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

I think what you guys are finding is the synchronized front output used on 1-tons that had auto hubs at some point. That shaft style may show up in other locations since everything is goofy in 1-tons anyway and especially in any of the V series.
    If you find anything different, post it up but I suspect that's the variation you're coming up against.

13. nvrenuf

Stephen I'm not familiar with the "synchronized front output" version of the 205, can you tell me what years this was available? Does this have any effect on the t-case's ability to be upgraded with a 32 spline front output?

Thanks for the cool info!!

14. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

I never thought of that ! To the best of my knowledge my 1983 K-3500 Crew Cab Dually came with manual locking hubs from GM , but I am asuming that since I bought it used .The hubs that were on it were the standard GM version of the Warn hubs ( I swapped out for older Spicer Hubs ) but I suppose that some one could have changed them out before I bought it .
    If anyone else can give some input on this I would really like to know more about what applications had the odd shaft .
    Tom

15. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

I'm not sure of the application years, I'm assuming '81 and up since they're for auto hubs and I think that's when that option started. If you have a syncho front on a 205 you have to change everything about it to get a 32 spline front output. I think the gears are even different. I know the shaft, shift fork, clutch ring, etc all need to change. I think the best way to make that swap would be to find a complete ford or dodge 205 so you could get all the parts in one shot.

The good news is the synchro shaft is a 30 spline which isn't too bad. There are very few people having problems with a 30 spline. Yoke availability is terrible but it's not weak.

16. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I know, bringing this back from the dead, but I've got the '85/86 parts manual, and it does show the two different 205's being due to autohubs and not. I think that was '85 only though, it appears in '86 auto hub 205's were not offered, or the t-case was "universal" at that point.

If anyone is interested, or needs info on the parts, PM me and I will do my best to find the different parts in the case.