Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need some quick help. rear seal - torque converter ??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Fubeca, Nov 8, 2003.

1. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

1) I just got my new torque converter out of the box and it rattles. Is it just the clutch plate thing for the lock-up and its okay, or do I need to wait til monday and talk to the shop about it?

2) How strong are the bolts that hold the flexplate? I cannot get them to budge and am thinking about using an IR2131 Impact on it. Is it bad to use an impact on the crank? How likely am I to break a bolt and have to pull the motor?

I only broke 2 of the exhaust studs, but I also broke an easy out in one of them so the manifolds are probably going to have to come off. I guess this 1 day job just got longer /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

2. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

By the way, it is a mostly stock 700R4 tranny.

3. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

the rattle is normal. You can use an impact on the flexplate. They are loctited from the factory. And you should clean them off and re-loctite them when you put them back in.
    Exaust studs suck. If you don't want to screw with them, you might be able to bring them to a muffler shop. Some of those guys can do it easily.

4. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

Thanks, for the info. I may get this done yet.

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If you can find someone with an oxy-acetylene torch, and the ends of the studs are still sticking out, you can do it yourself. Heat the manifold until it starts to glow around the ENTIRE part of the stud that goes into the manifold. Then with a pair of vise-grips, turn it out.

This is a good place to mention that using brass nuts in place of the stock steel ones will solve this problem, although since you can't tighten them as much, they might need re-tightening in the future. Still easier than pulling a manifold.