Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need some rubber

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BigJim85, Oct 10, 2000.

1. BigJim85

BigJim85 1/2 ton status

Just wonderin' what tires I should get for my "85 Jimmy. Right now I have 31 inch General Grabber ST's. I'm not getting a lift anytime soon, and would like to stick to about the same size. Just like to hear what you all think are the best, and if I can get slighty larger tires with out any problems.

"I can get us outta this, it just gonna take whole lotta floorin'"

2. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

I'm running 31x13.50 MT HP's, check out the picks on my website. If you want to remain stock but still want an aggresive look you might want to look into these. Only catch is you have to run a 15x10 wheel.

89 K5 Silverado
    http://mudfrog.coloradok5.com

3. mudfanatic

mudfanatic 1/2 ton status

get yourself a set of BFG 31 or 32" x9.50 mud terrains, these are a long lasting aggressive tire that handle very well on the highway with a low noise level, the 32" should fit your rig without a lift if you stick with 9.5 wide
    Dan

<font color=red>get involved with land issues or lose the land</font color=red>

4. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

I would also go with bfg a/t's in 32x11.50.

5. Eric

Eric Registered Member

Very happy with my BFG KO All Terrains. Quiet ride and great in the snow.

One eyed super fly- watch out!
    86 K5 Blazer

6. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I have had good luck with Kelly DTR's and Sport kings in the past. the DTR is more of a Mud Terrain... Also, My brother has Goodyear MT's on his Ram and they are really nice and wearing great!

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com

7. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

When i first bought mine it had 32x11.50 bfg muds on it. They did pretty good and i only got stuck with them once. If you want a little less aggressive go with those ko all terrains. A friend just put them on his 2000 silverado and loves them. They are good in mild stuff and ride awesome on the street.

Later

Have you driven OVER a Ford lately?

8. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Here's a suggestion that really shouldn't be laughed off:

Go to Pep Boys and get a set of Futura Dakotas or Enforcers. The Dakota is kind of a BFG AT copy and the Enforcer is kind of a BFG MT copy. Either way, they sell for $80 or less in sizes up to 33". The Dakota comes with a 50,000 mile tread wear warranty and I think the mud ones carry 30,000. All of their tires are made by cooper and I have know a few people with them and have never heard a complaint.

Other than that, there are all-terrain and mud-terrain Generals that are good tires with good prices. I think that the Grabber ST is mostly a street tire, but I have assumed here that you want to get a little more off-road traction.

If you're not sure what size will fit, most tire shops will mount a set up for you and let you drive around a little bit to see what hits and what fits. This is a good thing to do since the actual sizes of tires varies a lot from the rated size from brand to brand.

'85 JIMMY
    '90 paint/grill/trim 5"susp 33/12.5/16.5
    Fresh 350 B&M '87 TH700

9. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

I just had Dunlop Radial Rover's put on my truck.. 31x10.50 R15's.. Sweet grip on and off the road. Plus great traction in the rain. I had BFG All Terrains on before... sucked bigtime on wet roads.
    Dunlops stick really well..
    I've also had the Dunlops in the mud and the lugs clean themselves nicely. Also have the nice truck tire sound on the road !!!

It's better to have it and not need it. Than to need it and not have it !

10. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

Does anybody have ProComp Mud Terrains ? If so, How are they overall......wear,sound,traction,etc.......

I agree with Rocko, I have Dunlop's too and they'e great in the snow and rain as well as a good daily driver tire......they wear great !

<font color=purple>L8r,

.Riz.<font color=purple>

11. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I just chunked my old Dunlop's for a new set of BFG mud's last weekend, WOW! what a difference! Great on and off-road, I can't hear any difference in road noise either. I still have the old Dunlops if anybody wants them?

[​IMG]FUN WITH 31's![​IMG]

12. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I've got BFG A/Ts and i love them. Haven't gotten stuck yet. It depends on your Blazer but a lot can fit 33x12.5s stock without rubbing. I had some on mine before I lifted it and they never rubbed, but it depends on your truck. A good shop will test fit them for you to see if they will rub.

90K5

13. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

I'm running 33x12.50x15 BFG AT KO on a 4" lift and love them. Been running BFG AT since '86. I also have a set as a backup of Goodyear 31x10.50x15 ATS that still have 95% tread that came on the K5 when I bought it. Wanted a larger tire for the lift.

14. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

BlazerGuy:

Since you've tried both models, can you mention the pros and cons of each one?

<font color=blue>//////
    http://blazer79.coloradok5.com
    </font color=blue>[​IMG]

15. rich'90

rich'90 1/2 ton status

I had BFG A/Ts first then went to Dunlop radial mud rovers and am now running general grabber mt's. All good tires I think but it all depends on the type of driving and offroading you intend to do. It also depends on how much money you want to spend. I never had good luck with the a/t's in sand or mud, but then that is not what they are designed for. Road noise is quieter with the a/t's and about the same with the other two. I think I will check out those Pep boy specials next time. That price sounds good to me.
    Good Luck.

Go heavy or Go home[​IMG]

16. BigJim85

BigJim85 1/2 ton status

Hey rich'90 I'm wonderin' what you think of your Grabber MT's. And 90k5, what do you mean by it depends on the truck, I'd really like some larger tires but don't have the money, much less the time to put on a lift. Thanks guys!

"I can get us outta this, it just gonna take whole lotta floorin'"

17. 33's will fit on a stock blazer if you put them on 8" wheels
    and never do anything but driving on flat roads!!LOL First time you flex it up count on some fender reconfig.!!LOL

IF IT AINT BIG IT AINT BAD!!!!!!

18. rich'90

rich'90 1/2 ton status

I like them. I use my truck as a daily driver in addition to the off-road fun. I am happy with tread wear, off-road performance, road noise, and looks. I ordered them on-line awhile ago and got a pretty good price so that helped my decision too. Hope this helps BigJim.
    Good Luck.

Go heavy or Go home[​IMG]

19. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

Mud Frog thats a sharp looking truck. i have BFG AT K.O.'s on my Blazer and love them. They are wearing very well and are really quiet.

20. BigJim85

BigJim85 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the help guys. I'm looking into some General Grabber MT's at the time being. I would also like to know if it would be possible to put on some of those GI uni-directional tires (like on the M-715's, GI Power Wagons ect.) I'm just wonderin' if any of you guys have military rigs or know of these tires and their worthiness on the trail.

Call my rig an SUV... And I'll tear your lungs out.