Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need some seatbelt info/advice

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by gjk5, Oct 27, 2004.

1. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

I have a '72 K5 with roll cage, I just got some high-back buckets (thanks ugly!) that I'm going to put in and I wanted to put in lap/shoulder belts to replace the factory lap belts. Can I just bolt the shoulder belt to the roll cage? Will it cause any weakness with that big of a hole in it? Has anyone else done this, or similar?

I know someone (I think it was TonyP) made some brackets that went around the roll cage tube and the belt bolted into this thing, but I have no idea how to make those brackets, and probably don't have the tools for it either.

Any suggestions appreciated.

2. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

If it were me, I'd probably drill an oversize hole all the way through the cage for the bolt, then "sleeve" in a reasonably thick piece of small diameter tube that is just barely larger than the bolt you'll be using.

Weld it up on both sides and you should be stronger than the rest of the cage.

3. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

That sounds fairly simple, would a cheapie wire feed welder work for that? (I've never welded, but I need an excuse to buy one)

4. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

The cage is probably only .120" wall or even thinner. Almost any welder can handle that.

....however, you might want to get some help from a welder-friend for this particular project. We ARE talking about a safety item; not really a place to "practice" welding IMHO.

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

5. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Definitely, the reason I said cheapie wire feed is I have a friend who has experience with them and wanted to sell me his wire feed, but he builds trailers for a living and knows what he's doing, so I would have "supervision" so to speak.

6. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

why dont you just weld a tab onto the cage, that way if you ever want to change it you can just cut the tab off and be good to go, thats what I would do anyways /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

W hy not use chain link post brackets and upgrade the bolts?

8. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Not a bad idea. There are already some tabs with bolt holes welded in low on the back tubes, I don't know what they're for but I should've thought of that.

I'm gonna practice some welds on my boat trailer (homemade and scary) and then try that.

Thanks.

9. ugly

ugly 1/2 ton status

No problem on the seats /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I have a 110v wire feed that would do the job. I just bought Corbeau retractable 4 points for my cage and had the same question. I plan to add a tab, sell my 110v, buy a 220v, and weld more sh!t __I'm having a great time with the welder__

You want to buy a new/used 100v? $300