Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need some sort of block heater for the 6.2

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stallion85, Dec 4, 2006.

1. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

My M1008 has not been wanting to start since the temps dropped into the 30's. I haven't checked the glow plugs yet, but I was able to fire it up last night. This morning is a different story, it barely will crank over and then almost kills the battery.

What say ye of this magnetic block heater? http://www.tractorpartsinc.com/magnetic_block_heaters_mh1153_3953_prd1.htm

Also should I even bother getting a battery warmer?

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

The best heater is the freeze plug replacement heater. Also I know alot of guys put there glow plugs on a manual switch cause the factory setup is known for failure. I would do the freezeplug heater personally. Then buy a HD timer & plug that beast in at night. Set the timer for a hour or two before you need to start it and your clatter machine should start alot easier.

Harley

3. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

if you're having a hard time getting the starter to turn over, you should check those batteries. good cranking speed is key to our diesels. i'd like to get one of those magnetic block heaters too, but i've got no where to plug it in at those places where i might need it. i've had no problems starting my truck below 30 w/ good plugs, batteries, and starter. also had easier starting when i started using a fuel additive to increase sulfur and decrease gel point.

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

He is right about a good additive helping keep fuel flowing better at lower temps. It all helps. Thinner oil helps too. A good 5w-40 synthetic would make life a little easier.

I have started my Cummins at -20* after it sat all night NOT plugged in. It damn sure didn't like it but it started up with not much hesitation. I had 5w-40 syn & fuel additive in it.

Wally World sells Rotella 5w-40 syn for a good price & PowerService additive too. They would both be good additions on a budget to the 6.2L.

Harley

5. jfaulk

jfaulk Registered Member

here in AK it gets pretty chilly and I have a block heater that fits into a freezeplug hole, a trans pan heater, and a battery blanket. the battery blanket is wrapped around the battery and held in place with a couple of zipties. all three are plugged into a 3:1 plug under the hood and the single end is hangin out of my grille. it all works pretty well.

6. blazersnburban

blazersnburban Registered Member

that sounds good

that sounds like a cure there, does heater blow warm as soon as it starts?

i've been thinking of putting a block heater on my gas burner dd, just so when i get in, the heater is ready to start blowing warm air!!!

i thought about a remote starter also, but money wise would it burn more gas warming up or cost more electric to keep it warm all night?

how warm does a stick-on block heater keep the motor, as oppossed to the freeze plug warmer?

maybe run both a block heater and a remote start to circulate the warm water thru the heater core.

i've seen the stick on block heaters, but where do you get the freeze plug heater? (do they seal good?)

7. Slapperbar

Slapperbar Retired Navy NDT Examiner Premium Member

Freeze plug heaters come as an option from the factory. They ought to seal just fine. I'm puttin' one in my gas 'Burb.

8. jfaulk

jfaulk Registered Member

blazersnburban- it's fairly warm whenever I start it in the morning. I installed the block heater back in 03 and haven't had any problems with it. to be honest I don't remember where I got it. one caveat though, when you order it, makes sure it comes with the plug. when I got mine, you had to order the plug and wire seperately. you'd think that type of thing would come as a kit or whatever. also, I coudn't tell you about the cost of running versus pluggin in. i'm in the military and i live on post so i don't have to pay the electric bill.

9. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

do you guys not have the cold weather package that has the plug that you plug into an outlet? i havent used mine yet, but hopefully it works good, cuz this thing is a b!tch to start when its cold

10. miniwally

miniwally 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Just go to you local parts store and get the freeze plug style heater. This will be all that you need.
    The freeze plug type keep a block at around 70 degrees or better. The 6.2 block being larger and thick might drop 10 degrees off of that but it will still be good.
    Make sure the Glow plugs cycle correctly or better yet like harley said put them on a manual switch.

The block heater and the glow plug switch were the only ways we could get our 6.2 to start during the Colo. winters back in the day.

I would think that you should be able to get yours to start with glow plugs alone being in Vegas. 30 degrees is not cold.

11. stallion85

I agree 30 is not that cold, maybe the glow plugs need to be replaced. I will check them out tonight!

12. 86dieselburb

86dieselburb 1/2 ton status

How many miles on your 6.2? Mine has over 350k and is a hard starter when it gets below 40, even with new glow plugs. When these things get alot of miles on them they lose compression, which makes them harder to start.

Napa or Car Quest sells the freeze plug heater. I just put one on mine. Old one started leaking due to old age. Think it was like $22 for the heater.

13. colbystephens

:thumb: on the 350k!

14. blazersnburban

blazersnburban Registered Member

is the freeze plug heater... rubber and tighten up like a boat plug? screw in a nut and it swells out or do you have to glue it in with rtv or what?

15. stallion85

It actually has 50K on the engine. Low mileage mil truck:D I have discovered I killed yet another Yellow Top Optima battery. Right now I am charging it to see if I can bring it back to life. It starts fine when jumped by my real Diesel truck (cough cough Dodge Cummins cough):D

16. colbystephens

freeze plugs are metal, they are a force fit circle disk which goes into holes in the side of the engine. the idea is that if the coolant were to freeze, the expansion of the water would force the plugs out instead of cracking the block. they can be purchased with an element on one side which works similar to an element on an electric stove. then there is an electrical plug on the other which can be ran to a cable and finally to an outlet. no rubber involved, except the insulation of the electrical wire. :)

17. 86dieselburb

Yes it's similar to a boat plug. Has an O-ring and a toggle type bolt othe back that tightens up against the inside of the block water jacket. Old one comes out with mucho difficulty. New one pops in and you will swear its gonna leak...lol. The instructions say to lube O-ring with vaseline is all.

18. 86dieselburb

Mine had an O-ring. Where did you get yours at? Maybe different manufacturers, different designs.

19. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

heat...

My 6.2 had a factory freeze plug heater,but evidently the junkyard that cut the motor in it out of another parts truck, just snipped the 110V cord off about a foot away from the heater!..but someone had installed a heater that goes into one of the heater hoses that works,luckily..

I've only plugged it in a few times during sub-zero nights ,and dont think its wattage is sufficient enough..the motor starts with or without it on,but sounds horrible the first few moments after its been started without the heater being on for awhile..(as does any diesel that has sat overnight in low temps!)..my tank style heater hose heater is only about a 400 watt version..

I'm hoping that factory freeze plug heater never leaks --looks like a bitch
    to get at,and remove/install..:doah: --I have enough woes under there,with my oil pan rotted and weeping,and all the oil cooler hoses and tranny lines looking like barnacles are growing on them..:(

I know they call them "freeze plugs" --but in my experience,blocks usually crack before a freeze plug gets pushed out,if it gets cold enough to freeze water in the engine..I've been told they were installed to plug the sand casting holes when the block was poured out of molten iron...makes sense to me,and explains why I often find sand in the block under where the freeze plugs go...only a few times have I seen freeze plugs pop out after a motor feezes,and have no block or head damage..so CHECK YOUR ANTI_FREEZE!..:crazy:

20. colbystephens

i assumed mine was from the factory, but maybe not. i don't have it anymore. it was in there when i got the truck, and the engine had been rebuilt - but rebuilt is a very generous word for what the PO had done. i'm glad i did it over! :)