Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need some spare blood pressure pills

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jimmyjack, May 11, 2001.

1. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

I'm going to change out my ball joints this weekend. I've accepted the fact I'll find bad wheel bearings, races stuff like that, but I know I'm going to find something that will attempt to give me a cerebral anuerism.
    I've got plenty of good help with me on this project so hopefully things will go well. Wish me luck and a speedy recovery. I'll take pics and post them when things are normal here.

"My blazer may be slow, but it goes faster at higher speeds"

Jim

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Good Luck!!

I take 80mg Diovans, want me to Fed-Ex you a couple? LOL

Mike - <A target="_blank" HREF=http://emmett.coloradok5.com>http://emmett.coloradok5.com</A>[​IMG]

3. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Divin in!! YaaHoo....
    Just take yer time and remeber thoes ball joints arn't the smoking kind that would help you with your blood pressure issues [​IMG]...JK
    It is all very straight forward stuff I just lay everything out on a table/bench as you take it off. That way you can just reverse everything when reassembly time comes...
    Good Luck

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com>http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com</A>

4. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

If you don't have the sleeve adjusting tool, you can make one out of a 3/4", 6-point 1/2" drive deep socket. I used a Craftsman and just ground down the sides to fit. You can use one that came with the new ones as a guide. Filed it to square off the corners and to fit. Took about 5 minutes. Snap-On makes one but I could never catch him and when I did, he didn't have one. Think theirs cost about $25.
    Good luck. Should be real simple and straight forward. Replace the grease seals while your at it.

5. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Ive been soaking the knuckles for past few days with a daily dose of penetrating fluid and a couple of raps with a hammer. My buddy's coming over with some air tools this afternoon, I'm pulling the brakes and rotors after lunch, right now I'm convincing myself everythings gonna be alright! I'll keep you filled in.

Jim

6. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Good luck. Just remember in the end it is all worth it. Also think of the money you save doing it yourself.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://jamonline.homestead.com/fromthegroundupK54x4/89Jimmy.html>http://jamonline.homestead.com/fromthegroundupK54x4/89Jimmy.html</A>
    <font color=blue>Happy Trails<font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>Wayne<font color=blue>

7. MaxCrack

MaxCrack 1/2 ton status

You won't have any problems. (fingers crossed) We replaced the ball joints on my buddies Scout a few years ago with block of wood a pipe and a hammer. (When all you have is a hammer, everything starts to look like a nail. heheh) So far, he's still going hard with no problems.

Good luck

That's because I'm the devil.

8. Rob 85K5

Rob 85K5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

The lower ball joint nut is 1-1/8", make sure you have the wrench b4 you start, trust me.

Rob 85K5

<font color=orange>Bleedin' Chevy Orange</font color=orange>

9. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Good luck, may the Force be with you! [​IMG]

10. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

AAAAAAAAARRRRRGHHHHHHH Where are all of my G&%#%#^$ tools!!!! First off the bozo's at Brake Max torqued my Warn hubs to 100 ft lbs so my allen wrench and retaining bolts stripped out. Had to pound a small screwdriver in and rip them out. Luckily I saved some from an old truck I had 15 yrs ago (imagine that!). So far everything else has come out and off easily. Went to pick up some tools from a friend at O'Reilly Chevrolet in town and picked a couple of brains.

Haven't had any beer yet, it's too damned hot. I'm liable to over do it and go inside and sleep instead! (100 outside and 70 inside HMMMMMMMM)

Jim

11. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Hey K30 guy, send me some more force! I've got the knuckles apart and on my bench. Apart from dinging some threads on one of the steering arm bolts everything is good so far but I CAN NOT get the upper joint out for the life me. Ive had it in the vice, I've hit it with a burp gun, I've hit it with a big hammer, I'm gonna try fire next. Any ideas? I can't rest til they're out. I've tried to quit 5 times already and I keep going out and banging on this thing. My tinnitus ear is screaming at me.

Jim

12. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

By chance do you have a ball joint press???? Harbour Freight has one for about $24 and it makes changing ball joints a snap.

13. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

I was told that a ball joint press was for installing ball joints only and not removing them. If I find out otherwise that little turkey neck pimple face needle dick at Autozone will be fired! I managed to get them out after a break. Not sure how but theyre out, and a ball joint press( for installing) is on its way here right now so here we go again! Halfway home.

Jim

14. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

You seem to be right on track...started around 1:00pm and stopped around 9:00pm. This is a large project if you've never done it before. Of course something always comes up that slows things down. You still have 2 days to get it back together, so you're doing good.

Hope I didn't just curse you....
    Maybe should have said, "You mean you're not done yet??"

[​IMG]

15. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Everything is off. The bottom ball joints went in without a fight but the uppers gave me fits. My ten yr old told me I looked like a 3 legged monkey f&%$ing a football so I called it quits. Took them to a machine shop this morning. Putting it back together should be a snap, It all came apart easily enuff. The actual ball joint work was the pain.(ball joint press, that thing was a joke)

Jim

16. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

DAMMIT! Sorry I didnt come back to check on your progress!
    I have found the cheaper and faster method of installing the ball joints is to just take them to anybody who has a big press. They can press the joints in faster than you can say "My name is Bill Clinton and I did NOT inhale!". This is cheaper to pay the labor for the shops to do rather than buy a tool you probably wont use again for a long time.
    I take all my joint pressing work to a tractor/farm service shop about 3 blocks away from my house. The guys there are cool and top notch. Always charge me cheap for this kind of work. They can do the four joints in about 30 minutes of taking their time and talking to me at the same time too! [​IMG]

17. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

The knuckles are in!!!! Need t put the axles in and seal up the diff cover. Replace the brakes and I'm outta there. Found one of my lockinghubs was in bad shape. Took it the 4x4 shop and they told me no prob, and swapped it out. And so far the only phsycal damage sustained was a bruised palm and my front tooth/cap fell off!

Jim