Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need some suggestions for an exhaust set up....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Silver84k5, Nov 12, 2002.

1. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

ok right now im running jba shorty's with 2-1/4 dual flow masters, no cats, I HATE THE SOUND OF MY exhaust, it sounds like somone farting into a coffee can. I would like an exhaust that sounds beefy but not real loud, unless i get on the throttle, also an exhaust that will help with low end torque, gracias for any help

2. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

well, not alot you can do about the sound. maybe try adding the cats so that it is legal again, and an x-pipe to balence the exhaust or try a different muffler company. you could add Meg tips but that would make it even louder. If you are alredy running headers and a after market exhaust, not a whole lot more you can do but add the afore mentioned X-pipe

3. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

x pipe or h pipe? the cats are no big deal cuz it is registered in tillamook (deq exempt) arent 40 series flows louder then the 50 series? and what Chamber do is best run? i dont know squat abuot exhaust, im just trying to learn what the most desirable setup would be for wheeling,

4. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

x-pipe/h-pipe are the same thing with a different configuration. I would argue that an X pipe is slightly more desireable to help REALLLY equal flow, but a h-pipe does well in our applications.

40 series are 2 chamber
    50 series is 3 chamber (i think)
    and the 70 sereise is a Motorhome muffler.

Greg72 runs the motorhome 70 series and it has a good, deep rumble. but he also have a well build 396 under the hood, so your results my vary.

Also, after sucking exhaust fumes for 4 hours back from Pismo, i am a propenet (now) of side exiting exhaust. it is in my future. just a friendly FYI. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

5. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

yeh to me a 40 series just has a flat loud BLAHHHHHHHHHH sound. know what im sayin? my 50 series delta are loud, but not an annoying blah, more of a rumble and when you get on it it gets loud. This is with a fairly stock 350.

6. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

For a built 454, the 70 series Flowmasters will work right? I want a decent sounding exhaust, but not too loud. I want power over sound. Loud exhausts dont impress me. IMO you can make a go-kart sound "bad ass" with the right muffler. But maybe its just me. Thx for the help

7. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

depends on your point of view. I am running 40 series Flowmasters because i picked them up dirt cheap. I don't care about what they sound like, cuz you canit hear them over the "Swamper Hum" anyway /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

8. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

lol, farting in a coffie can, i thought that was only in rice burners, lol, id put the cat back on, it should change your sound, and as everyone else has said, make it legal again, good luck. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

9. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

don't listen to Ian. his truck sounds like a dying goat.

go wit the 70 series. deep mellow sounds and they are aluminum!

10. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

I got JBA's, 3in single pipe, hi-flow cat, Blowmaster and a badazz chrome tip (extra 3 horse). It's not too loud around town, sounds nice when you twist the motor but kinda sucks on a loooong drive, say from San Diego to Portland... I'd like to swap to 70 series.
    You can check it out in a couple weeks over a couple beers...
    Jim /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

11. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

zakk your a fart knocker, my truck sounds fine, id like dual exaust on my truck, but we all wish for things that we will never put on /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif.

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

12. st08x

st08x Registered Member

if u want a good exhaust that sounds nice but isnt too loud all the time, get some magna flows. they give u more low end torque than horse power. i got some on my truck in march and its the best thing i've ever done to it. they have a nice little idling sound and when ur just cruising round them arent too loud and they sound awesome if u nail it but they shake the ground and can me heard from a mile away, seriously. the first day i got them until now i still get told to sold down everywhere i go. but they are a good investment and run a little cheaper than flowmasters. also improve mileage like 2 -3 gallons. sound more agressive not some much a "my truck can breath" noise.

13. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I plan on Hooker Headers "competetion series" ( Have more then enough ground clearence) 2.25" dual exhaust (X pipe maybe, but not for sure) with 40 series Flowmaster mufflers, and Meg's tips. I plan on exiting the exhaust infront of the rear tires. Sence I'll have the rock slidders with intergraded nerf bars, the exhaust will stick out 1/2 an inch past the nerf bars. That should hopefully keep the exhaust fumes out of the cab when I go to a soft top

14. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color="blue">I went from a 2 1/2" dual 40 series setup to a 3" single 40 series setup and it sounds much better, along with running smoother at and just above idle (not to mention all the room I have under there).

15. GMslave

GMslave 1/2 ton status

Here ya go. Pretty quiet at idle, nice sound at WFO.
    [​IMG]
    3" Super Turbo

16. ratlover

ratlover 1/2 ton status

Super turbos are some nice sounding muffs IMO and cheap too boot. And they flow pretty well. Summits brand of turbos is the same deal. Dynomax are some of the flowingest SOB's there are. If you run a offset in/out it will be a bit quiter than a straight in/out in a straight trough muffler like a dynomax/magnaflow.

Ever notice how flowmaster is about the only "performance" exhaust company that dost publish flow #'s with thier stuff??? All they advertise is the "flowmaster sound" /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif They are some of the worse flowing muffs there are.

I absolutly LOVE my spintec on my 97 /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif. Its bone stock other than the muff. Cant say enough good about thier customer service. I called and talked to Ron and told him what I hade and what I wanted and what I wanted to sound like and had a custom muffler shipped to my dor for 90$ in under a week. Sounds exactly like he said it would and they flow like all hell /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif