Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need some suggestions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Rhinopkc, Oct 1, 2006.

1. Rhinopkc

Rhinopkc 1/2 ton status

The previous owner of my K5 decided it would be a good idea to put shocks on the rear that are way too long(see photo#1). While fixing all of the other things wrong, I overlooked this and now I have a problem (see photo #2). I wouldlike some suggestions on some good replacement shocks ( I have a 4 inch shackle flip with stock springs), and some suggestions on repairing or replacing the shock mount now that the shock has hammered through it. No wonder this thing was riding so rough!:doah:

DSC04156.JPG

DSC04158.JPG

2. Rhinopkc

Rhinopkc 1/2 ton status

Would I be better off replacing the mount than trying to weld it up? I looked at the inboarding kit from DIY, but it seems like the shocks would get in a bind under acceleration and snap the mounts off of the shocks. Has anyone experienced any problems like that?

3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I don't doubt it could be welded up , add a plate to the side with a new hole , I mean really , people weld the front frames back together :thumb:

As for shock length , the Gabriels from the part number post and various other threads work perfect in the stock mounts . I have a shackle flip and stock springs , and have yet to bend them from stuffing a tire :thumb:

from the part number post , add about 8 to 10 bucks to that last time I checked :