Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

need some suggestions....

Discussion in 'Audio' started by smokkey1, Oct 15, 2006.

1. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

ok, I really need to get a new head unit since the one in my sub sucks really bad.. and now that I have a Ipod I want something that I can easily hook up to.. so I've been looking at these JVC head units.. I've had JVC head units in the past and they held up great.... so what do u guys think about these units.. the 1st one has a USB hook up in the front I'm kinda thinking that I can just hook up my IPOD to that and maybe it may charge it too but I'm unsure about that. I may go down to bestbuy tomorrow and hook up my Ipod up to it and see what happens.... the 2nd one has a AUX input up front which would be perfect for what I need. if u guys know of some other head units for around the same price let me know.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-sD1xse2qdvv/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=300&I=257KDG720

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-sD1xse2qdvv/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=300&I=257KDG420

then I need some speakers. what I want to do is replace the 4x10 with some nice 6x9 and the just replace the dash speakers... what do u guys suggest???

I'm not tryin to build a super bumpin system...down the line I'll probably add some amps and subs. but for now I need to get rid of the POS system I have in there now.

2. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I like both JVC and Clarion alot. I look for headunits with 3 set of RCA outs and a aux input. That Ipod cound be ran through the Aux in. I really like my Clarion headunit. There are a few Clarion DXZ945mp headunits on Ebay if you're intrested. The DXZ945mp has tons of features and settings. It's last years modle, but it was thier top of the line headunit before you got into DVD headunits.

4. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I hear ya. the DXZ945mp isn't cheap. Heck, new last year, it ran around eight hundred at a local car stereo shop back up in Rapid City. I bought mine on Ebay for just under 4 bones. A buddy has that Pioneer in his big rig, and is quite happy with it. Being a OTR trucker, he spends alot of time in his truck. He either has a Ipod or his laptop computer hook up to it at any given momment. Usely the laptop. It's not a bad price. Check around for that model, you might find it cheaper yet. If I remember correctly Car Domain's store throws in a free install kit when you buy from them. Link But staying under 200 bones, I'd step up to the 5800 if you're going with Pioneer.

6. 1BadK-30

1BadK-30 1/2 ton status

7. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I haven't heard enough Polk speakers too really form a opinion. I do like my Infinity Kappa's. I've also had JBL speakers that sounded great. Most people around here go with Sony, Pioneer, Kenwood, ...ect. You know, the more known name brands. Next time I buy speakers, I'm stepping up to the Infinity Kappa Perfects. I want too get a set of kick panel enclosures for the car and load them with the Infinity Kappa Perfects. That would really bring the front sound stage too life in the Alero.

8. 1BadK-30

1BadK-30 1/2 ton status

there good quality, next time you go to a store try them out.

9. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

thanks guys!!! I'm going to read up on the 5800 model right now. I'm sure it's alot better than the 4800... thats a good price too...

another thing what size are the speakers in the dash???

10. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

which JVC HU? the one with the usb or the aux input up front....

11. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

For just a few bucks over 2 bills, you could get this Clarion.

12. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with the pioneer 4800

now does anyone know what size the dash speakers are???

Last edited: Oct 16, 2006
  13. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

No idea about dash speakers, but a couple sites I checked said a 6 and a 1/2 will fit the doors. So for a decent mid priced speaker, I'd consitter these.

14. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

I really don't want to cut up my doors to fit some speakers....

15. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I hear ya. I don't know if you'd have too cut the doors or not. I wouldn't want too either. Honestly, if you want the best sound quality, a set of kick panel enclosures would be your best bet. [​IMG] Some people make thierown, but for $150.00, I'll buy a set. Then you just need too load them with some good quality component speakers. Depending on how much $$$ you're looking too spend and how quickly you want it done, those might be something too consitter. When I build my "systems" I buy what I can afford as I can afford it. I'd start off with a good headunit, and use it too power the craptory speakers till you can afford too upgrade. It all boils down too how good you want it too sound. If you're not a big audiophile, a headunit and some 3-way speakers might work out just fine for you. But if you're like me, you'll want the components up front. I'm using the Infinity Kappa 4X10 plate speakers in the doors of the Alero. I wanted everything too look factory. Well, the headunit doesn't look original, but that's all good. But from looking in my car, you'd never be able too tell it has anything more then a nice headunit in the dash. Sounds really good in my opinion.

16. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

thanks Z3PR, for all the info. I'v thought about those, but I'm not sure if I want to go that route. I'm pretty sure I would get water and mud in those speakers when I hit the trails...

I love audio but not really looking to break the bank building a system for my burb, I just want something thats sounds GOOD... but I'm sure whatever I put in it now will sound 10X better.

for now I'm going to get the pioneer 4800 for under $150. for that price and all of the features it has it's a great buy IMO....

speakers, going to with some 6x9's to replace the ****ty 4x10's and the front I'm either going to get those kick panels or some dash speakers. most likey dash speakers.

17. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Being that water and mud are a issue, You might want too talk to a local car stereo shop about building a over head set up. Or even small speakers in the headrest with a sub in the back might work. Just throwing out ideas and thoughts.

18. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

so I went to the this audio shop by my work today and they wanted $180 for the pioneer 4800 :eek1: so then I went to best buy to check out the headunits there and I was able to hook my ipod to them and the ones I used were very hard to navigate the playlist through the headunit. so I know for sure I don't want a headunit that has the ipod interface it's real difficult to use.

19. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Alot of headunits will have RCA inputs on the back for AUX. That would probley work for your needs.

20. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

I hear that. but the head unit that I'm going to get doesn't have the ipod interface. so that one is going to be perfect for me.