Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need some TIming help **UPDATE**

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Kyle89K5, Aug 4, 2002.

1. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

I've got a new 350 sitting in my truck, but I"m thinking I've got the distributer a little messed up . It tries to fire, but only under WOT, then it backfires. No matter how I adjust the timing it won't do anything more.

When I adjusted the rockers, apparently I got them a little too tight. I backed them off and now have compresion. I reset the motor to TDC and reset the distributer. IT still won't start, but I can DEFENATELY tell a difference. I'm hoping that a little time tomorrow night will get this thing running.

Any more helpful hints that might help me get on the road?

Thanks again guys.

Any help, I"m REALLY needing to get this thing back on the road.

Thanks

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Re: Need some TIming help

Was the dist. put in backwards (180 degrees off) maybe?

3. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Take out the number one plug. Stick your finger in there and have your buddy bump the motor. You'll get a woosh when you are on the #1 compression stroke. The timing mark will be a little before before TDC, but thats alright. Have your rotor pointing right one #1 BEFORE you drop it in. When you put the distributor in, the rotor will begin to move a little further as it engages on the cam gear. Doing it this way makes sure the rotor is a little BTDC, because the timing mark is to. Doing it this way saves you a little effort.

The scientific way is to stick your finger in there and continue to move the motor (by hand) until the timing mark is right on TDC. Then have your rotor pointing to #1 AFTER its fully engaged.

4. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

It's quite possible that it was, but it I don't think so. I can double check in the morning

5. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

THat's the other deal, no whoosh. IT's a little confusing, Iive even pulled the tappit cover to watch the rockers and pushrods and can't see SQUAT. I adjusted the rockers during assembly, but unless the lifters aren't pumped up I don't think I'm gonna get squat. Thanks for the help though, I"l prb dry that some more in the AM as well.

6. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

You need the whoos to be on the compression stroke. 4 stroke engines have 2 TDCs one on the compression stroke and one on the exhaust stroke. So if you're 180 out at the distributor. Then it's trying to fire on the exhaust stroke and never will.

7. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

8. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

You have to some woosh, or something is majorily farked up. Take all your rocker nuts and have them sit flush with the top of your stud. Then watch whatever rocker you may and wait for it to come up and then go back down. Righ after it goes back down, give it little bump to be suret, then adjust that rocker. Grab the pushrod and turn it while you are tightening the rocker. You'll begin to feel a little drag when they're set right. I like to do them again though when running. With a valve cover off and the engine going, loosen a rocker until you hear a tick. Then tighten it down until the ticking just stops, then tigthen it one half additional turn from that point.