Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

need some tips/advice re: sanding engine bay

Discussion in 'The Body Shop' started by tiger9297, Aug 3, 2006.

1. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

Have a '90 K5 and I'm about to pull the engine. While its out I wanted to paint the engine bay, axles, frame, etc. to make it look brand new when I go back up with it. I realize I'm going to have to just get under there and start sanding. However sanding that kinda stuff is somewhat difficult. Do any of you have any tips/advice for me to make this process a little easier?

also, I was looking at the Eastwood products like their "chassis black" coating. Has anyone used this? I don't want that rubbery undercoating stuff. The truck didn't come with that on it anyway.

2. 68MUDSTUD

68MUDSTUD OCD with shiny things

I say sandblast it.

3. zeroz400

zeroz400 1/2 ton status

Scuff everything with a wire wheel and use POR15. Friend did it to the engine bay on a camaro, looked good.

4. CGT80

CGT80 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I am going to do my engine bay too. Last time I had the engine out I used industrial oil based paint. It didn't hold up that well. This time I will use either single stage urethane or I am kicking around the idea of POR Hardnose finish.

Has anyone used Hardnose before? I might try POR 15 on my battery trays since they always get messed up from the acid. I have never tried any of their products though. the rest of the sheet metal isn't rusty. it just needs scuff sanded and degreased.

Any other ideas guys?

I would like something that is gloss black and will hold up and retain its sheen for a long time.