Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need some tips on Competition Mud Boggin *RESULTS*

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MudFrog, Nov 5, 2004.

1. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

See bottom post for results

I'm running in a local Mud Bog tonight and I need some tips to help me win some cash.. or at least get through the pit. When I go muddin in the woods the pits are usually around 20 ft long and I just put the tranny in Drive, but I'm not trying to set a record, the mud bog tonight is "supposed" to be 100 ft long and 4 ft deep. I'm assuming I would still run in 4 Lo for the extra torque but what about on the tranny, should I do 1, 2 or D. I'm thinking D but I welcome suggestions or comments.

Any other tips? Right now my tires are at 18 psi, would it make a big difference if I lower the pressure to about 10 psi?

There are 3 classes, 33" and down, 38" - 33", and 39" and bigger. I will be one of the largest trucks in the 38" and down, so that alone hopefully will give me an edge.

2. justinf

justinf 1/2 ton status

Re: Need some tips on Competition Mud Boggin

What gears do you have and what tranny?

3. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

700R4 and 4.10's

4. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

Really this will have to be decided by you, you know your truck runs better than us.
    But...
    I would suggest you go in in 2. And when/if the wheel speed starts to slow down, into first right away. Key is to not loose wheel speed.
    And if the bog is too gooey to run in second very long, just take it to first right from the start.

5. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Key is to not loose wheel speed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Werd! /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

6. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Sounds good. I guess I'll also see what everyone else in my club is doing as our trucks are set up similar. With the exception most of them have a TH350 instead of the 700R4.

7. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Study the pit when you get there. Hopefully this deal will be a better setup than the one I ran a year ago.

The promoter wasn't organized, the judges sucked. The pits themselves, were maybe a foot deep in places and in fact, I ran one lane the first go around just because I spied some dry spots in it.

As for driving through, it wasn't that hard. I was grabbing traction the whole way through so it was just basically a matter of keeping the go pedal applied wihthout going overboard and getting out of shape.

8. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Sounds good, like I said they "claim" 4 feet deep, but in the past the mud was as high as most peoples hubs.

9. slimlynn1

slimlynn1 1/2 ton status

If you have a stock 89 engine I would think you will be runing out of power by about 4500 RPMs. With your gears and tires that will be about 16 MPH in low range 1st gear 30 MPH in low range second gear and about 49 in third. If the mud is thick and gooey you probably won't get out of 2nd gear, especially if it is that RED VIRGINIA CLAY. Do you have a rev limiter? I would start in low range second and if you have to go to third that is easy enough to do if you have a floor shifter.

10. four_by_ken

If they were mud drags he might have a use for 3rd gear... maybe.

But in a bog... I really doubt he would ever see third gear.

11. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Our pits are similar 100 ft and 2-3 feet deep in places. Like Bubba said if ya can check out the pits first it helps. Also watch the other guys run see where they lose speed or get stuck. Run in 2 and 4lo is my advice. Good luck /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

12. four_by_ken

Man, you guys have some wimpy bogs. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

By the time ours are done... 44s disappear.

13. walla2k5

walla2k5 1/2 ton status

tire speed, tire speed, tire speed, 4-Hi to the wood!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

14. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

Different types of mud different stratagies, gooey 4 lo, sloppy 4 hi. gooey bogs the motor down and you need more torque to turn the tires. Sloppy means the tires turn free need fast tire speed to sling the mud. Good luck! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

15. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Well last night was pathetic...

It is very very sloppy virginia clay. I went all of 22 ft. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

I was number 12 to go and they make us start with our front end in the pit!?! When my front end went in it completly sunk. We had guys with 44" boggers only going around 50 feet. With the exception of the first 3 to run (a stock blazer on 33" AT's went 85 feet because he was the first and only sank around 6" in the mud) only the extremely modified trucks made it through. I'm talking about the guys with cupped 44" boggers, NOS and one heck of an engine.

It wasn't really a fair chance for the rest of us. The part that really pissed me off though, is we prepaid and they said it would be $30 to register. So we pay the $60 for two nights, when we got there they said we needed to pay another $40 for a pit pass. COME ON /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif My whole club is calling and complaining about that one. They never mentioned a pit pass when we prepaid, and it deffinitely is not worth $50 to make one pass at a giant whole which none of us had a chance at.

But I already paid it so I'll go back tonight. Will try the 4 Hi because 4 Lo didn't do jack for me.

16. Xtreme Off-Road

Xtreme Off-Road Registered Member

Drive it like you stole it. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

17. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Sucks Scott, just seems like you didnt have the wheel speed to keep going..Some nice trucks there though..

18. walla2k5

walla2k5 1/2 ton status

Good luck dude, What was your air pressure? Depending on your tire size, may want to drop to 15-20 lbs. Up here in Washington we don't have really sticky, gummy mud,( some but not alot of clay ) more like greased owl sh!t, tire speed is the key. Hammer down an kick arse!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

19. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

I always run my tires at 18 psi.

20. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Chris, I was wondering if you were there.

My club kept telling me to go left, and when I did I just sank. Did you notice how my class had the front tires in the goo and the super modifieds got to start before the mud. I'm going to just stop at the top of the hill tonight and wait for them to start me, this should help some.