Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

need some tips on pulling 89 serpetine apart...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by solowookie, Nov 14, 2001.

1. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

ok guys... I'm having some questions on how to get the serpentine apart on this 89 k5... wondering if anybody has some tips???

I will need to remove the power steering pulley it looks like (but I'd like to confirm that), and also the pulley for the smog pump (would like to confirm that also) in order to get the serpentine brackets off...

anybody, bueler...

<font color=blue> Jeff - may the force be with you</font color=blue>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Jeffs-Stuff>link to k5's</a>

2. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

Jeff,
    An '89 shouldn't have a smog pump. You will have to remove the power steering pully to get the bracket off. Make sure you have a puller designed to pull that, a regular two-armed-bandit won't work.

'85 K5 : Run it til it breaks, then fix it and go again!

3. solowookie

yea this is kinda what I was afraid of... looks like I'll be going to purchase a different puller...

ok... lets rename the smog pump to air injection pump (which it definately has)... there are 4 small bolts on the front of it, and I am assuming that will need pulled also???

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Jeffs-Stuff>link to k5's</a>

4. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

Somg and air injection same thing. I have never seen an 89 with A.I.R. Maybe Cal. emissions? But yes both are infront of serpintine bracket. I think there is somthing else but can't remember, once these are off the whole thing will come off.

5. solowookie

yep that is true... once it was off the whole thing came off! I'm leaving it all intack too! (except I'm gonna pull the A.I.R. off it, get a custom chip from fastchip if I can get one for cheap with no smog / EGR, and then try to install a york compressor on the frame there)