Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NEED SOME TIPS!

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Quetzal_SJ, Apr 3, 2001.

1. Quetzal_SJ

Quetzal_SJ 1/2 ton status

Hey Everyone,

Ok my 71 jimmy came with what looks like two sets of body mounts red/black. I don't have the instructions. Any helpful tips on the best way to atempting to replace them?Also any links to tech articles would be great. I figure I better swap them before I get started on the body work to be sure that everything lines up and that the body sits right on the frame.

Thanks Quetzal

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I would buy EnergySupension mount kit. Get the Black poly mounts. They are said to be impregneighted (sp?) with polygraphite to stop poly squeek.
    When I did mine I replaced all the bolts and nuts. Oh and if you have body shimms from the factory make sure to keep them in the same place. GM used shims to level or rigs on the frame.

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com>http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com</A>

3. Dieselmh

Dieselmh 1/2 ton status

Do you know what lengths I would need for my 1970 Blazer. I have new bushings, but that's it. I need to know what else I need. My bolts are really bad and I think I'm gonna have to cut them out.

Diesel
    [​IMG]
    Who says that size doesn't matter?

4. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

I posted the size and lengths of bolts needed to the old Blazer-Net. I'll have to go searching through my notes so I can post them here.

Also get a couple of cans of PB Blaster. You will need it to (hopefully) loosen the hold that all of the rust will have on the bolts, nuts, and bushing sleeves. Apply at least a week before tackling this joh, and apply more every day until the time comes to do the job. You will also likely need a grinder of some sort, a BIG hammer, and a STRONG punch for the stubborn bolts.

FWIW, I have a set of black Energy Suspension polyurethane body mounts. They are just polyurethane. There is no graphite in them.

5. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Ya know Steve I don't even remember were I heard/read that but fer some reason I have that stuck in my head that the black ones don't squeek like the red ones do....I guess asking Energy would clear this brain fart of mine[​IMG]

When I did mine I just got a long carriage bolt and ran it thru then marked it for a mesurement then bought the right sizes that way...

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com>http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com</A>

6. Roostr84

Roostr84 1/2 ton status

Burt I remember hearing that too but i dont know if it was in referance to body mounts or to suspension bushings etc. i know companies like PST imprgnate their suspension bushings with graphite.

7. Quetzal_SJ

Quetzal_SJ 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info guys. One question, do I have to loosen all the bolts then lift the body a little then prop it up to do the swap?

8. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

When I did mine I used a small bottle jack to lift only the area I was working on. Basically tried to do two mounts at a time with the jacek inbetween the two. I would/did not loosen all the body mounts just cuz I didn't want the body to move much from the position it was in. So I would just keep the area your working with loose and not the whole deal. You don't need to lift the body all that much any way just an inch or so....
    Good Luck youll love the ride whenits done! I did anyway..

9. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

I did one side at a time. I loosened all of the bolts on one side a little, then the other side (the side I was working on) a lot. Then I removed the one bolt at the mount point in which I was interested, lifted the body using a 2x4 and a floor jack (2x4 to spread the load across the tub), changed the mount, inserted a bolt, and set a nut on the bolt loosely, then proceeded to the next mount.

Oh, I used an ink pen to mark a couple of alignment points between the body and the frame. Nothing moved after the swap-out was complete.

10. 72GMCJIMMY

72GMCJIMMY 1/2 ton status

I just bought a 70 piece body mount/ radiator core mount kit from LMC. It has all the bolts, nuts and washers. It is an as original type rubber mount kit. I ordered the poly mounts first. When they arrived I was not very impressed, they just seemed too hard. Has anybody gone to poly and found them a problem?

11. gassman

gassman 1/2 ton status

Also make sure you have your top on. I changed all of mine with it off last summer and when I put the top back on it didn't fit right. Had to loosen all of the body mounts to bolt down the top then re'aligned the mounts