Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need some Tire opinions

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by morphed86k10, May 1, 2002.

1. morphed86k10

morphed86k10 1/2 ton status

I know the attributes for bias/radial, but how not the actual extent. The greater rolling resistance of a bias ply will reduce mileage (as in MPG), but how much? On a comparable tire (like a TSL bias and TSL radial) what kind of mileage (as in life of tire) could I expect?

I'd like a tire that I can get some mileage out of and has stronger sidewalls than a BFG or Procomp (tired of replacing the things).
    I'm looking at Ground Hawgs and Gumbo Mudders because I heard that they wear longer than a TSL, and have pretty durable sidewalls. Anyone know what kind of life a 36-14.50 TSL radial will get compared to a 35-14 bias Hawg?

That being said, I'd kind of like to stick with a radial, it is my daily driver after all. How much stronger are the TSL radial sidewalls compared to BFG's?

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Re: Q about tire construction and mileage

What BFG's were you running before? Granted, I haven't dealt with anything but car and AT truck tires before, but the BFG AT KO's I have on now seem to have walls made out of steel! : )

Of course a "harder" tire compound will last longer, with the penalties of not as much "grip" in most cases. Along with that, I'd guess that the "more" tread you put on the ground (say AT vs MT) the longer the tire will last as well, given the same tire compound.

Probably doesn't help you much, but if TSL made/makes an AT vs MT out of the same compound, I'd expect the MT to get better on road MPG, (less contact with the pavement) but not last as long. Probably half a dozen one way, 6 the other, you either save gas at the expense of tire life and on-road traction, or gain tire life at the expense of MPG and traction off-road.

3. morphed86k10

morphed86k10 1/2 ton status

Re: Q about tire construction and mileage

I had the BFG MT's before they were KM's, about 5 years ago, a set of Procomp MT's last summer, and now a set of BFG AT KO's. I didn't wheel the MT's a whole lot, but I wheel more and more and am blowing out sidewalls on the BFG AT KO's and PC MT. There is a lot of harsh volcanic rock around here. It's always right at the shoulder of the tread, not in the middle of the sidewall. Maybe I'll give those Baja Claws a try, they are supposed to have 6 plys right where I'm blowing them out.

4. K05Aggie

K05Aggie 1/2 ton status

According to my freshman engineering book a bias ply tire has about 40% more rolling resistance than a radial.