Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NEED SOME TRICKS TO SET WHEEL BEADS.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BLUESMAN, Aug 2, 2002.

1. BLUESMAN

BLUESMAN 1/2 ton status

Phoenix(but it\'s a dry heat...like an oven!)AZ.
    Hey I know some people like to do the "instant fire" thing to get the tire to bead on the rim,but what about other ideas?I've used an 16" bike innertube(slightly inflated) to set the beads,what other ideas are out there?I heard something about a rope thing around the wheel...how does that work?Other ideas?This is all when you are in the middle of nowhere and blow a bead.Mike

2. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I had to use a ratchet strap around the middle of the tire once. It worked but the effort prompted me to go to onboard air.

3. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

Why dont you like the Starter fluid and match trick? its kind of a Good show, heh

4. BLUESMAN

BLUESMAN 1/2 ton status

Phoenix(but it\'s a dry heat...like an oven!)AZ.
    I wheel in Arizona(home of the forest fires) so I don't like the open fire trick.I forgot about the rachet idea!

5. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

You can use a 1.5-3 gallon air tank with a 1-1.5" outlet with a ball valve on it into about a foot of pipe. You set the opening of the pipe next to the bead of the tire. With the tank to about 125 psi, when you trip the ball valve all that air goes into the tire and seats the bead easily. Do this to set the bead on big rig tires all the time. Much safer than using starter fluid. They call them "bead blasters".

6. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

I've done it with starting fluid and a match. The other time was when the bead had only come off on one side so we turned the busted bead side down and let gravity do the work /forums/images/icons/grin.gif