Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need some truck buying advice...pics

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by summit, Apr 3, 2006.

1. summit

summit Newbie

Hi,

Hopefully i'll be a proud owner of a 1990 k5 Jimmy SLE in the near future. Basically, i'm just looking for a pickup to have fun with. I have found this 1990 Jimmy in a town not too far from mine, and it looks pretty good from what i can see. However, i figure i should get a more educated opinion from these forums, because it really looks like you guys know your ****. Since i'm new to the site, and a poor student, i don't have the ability to post pics. So i've created a cardomain page for the Jimmy. On that page i have all of the information from the owner; but to be concise: 1990 Jimmy, 4'' block lift & 1'' body lift, rebuilt 350, 33'' tires, asking price is $4000 OBO Canadian dollars. I just want your opinions on anything that could give me trouble with this truck.

here is the cardomain link----> http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2313964

Thanks for any help y'all can give!

2. Janitorjim8

Janitorjim8 1/2 ton status

If it is all in good shape, $4000 is a good deal, how much is that in U.S.? The only problems I can see are because it has sat for so long, change all the fluids... all of them... cheaper now then down the road.

3. summit

summit Newbie

thanks for the help. $4000 Canadian is $3400 US by the way. I haven't made the drive up to where this guy lives to look at the truck yet, but it does look ok in the pictures. The only thing that worries me is the rust that is pictured on near the drivers side door. Any other thoughts or opinions you guys have are greatly appreciated.

TTT

4. AKbigsub

AKbigsub 1/2 ton status Premium Member

It looks good except for the rust. Check out the rear fender.
    [​IMG]
    Otherwise it looks good. Did the guy say why it appears to have been parked all winter?

5. summit

summit Newbie

he said he parked it because he was going through a divorce. But thats pretty much all he said. I'll ask him again the next time i call.

6. AKbigsub

AKbigsub 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Just remember, all purchases are "buyer beware". Make sure you check it out mechanically or pay someone else to do it. Common areas of interest on that rig are: body mounts (rust), wheel bearings, ball joints, rear wheel seals, valve cover gaskets, check the front driveshaft clearence at the exhaust X-over pipe, make sure it will pass emissions test (if you have that where you live), u-joints etc. This is by no means a comprehensive list but a starting point. Oh yah, power windows and rear window (make sure they work and are ot moving extremely slow).

7. summit

summit Newbie

haha, thanks man. Ya, i'll definately bring one of my mechanic friends with me when i go to check it out. I don't have to worry about emissions, closest city with emission regulations is like 800miles away.

8. wubba_65

wubba_65 Registered Member

Where abouts in Canada is it?