Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

need some u-joint help

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BIGDAN112686, Apr 22, 2004.

1. BIGDAN112686

BIGDAN112686 1/2 ton status

alright guys, i busted the ujoint on my rear driveshaft while driving to school today(dont ask how, i wasnt even on the gas when it happened) so anyway, i got the replacement and plan on fixing it where it is broken(sitting in my parking spot at school) i was hopin you could give me some help on how to fix it and what tools will be needed. thanks in advance. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Needle nose plyers, ballpean hammer, and whatever size wrench for the caps.

3. BIGDAN112686

BIGDAN112686 1/2 ton status

thanks, do you think i need to jack up the rear and take off pressure or will it be ok with out doin that?

4. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

i always use an axle lock pin shaft to drive the caps, and an oversize socket to drive the opposite cap into(put socket on surface first and then set driveshaft u joint cap above it so that cap can go inside of the socket,.

pretty easy really,.

once youve done it youll always know how /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

the clips will be tight, knock the cap with the axle lock shaft once or twice to get pressure off the clip so it will easily remove, and trhen drive the u joint opposite way to get the opposite end clip to remove easier.

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Make sure you smack the yoke with a hammer once real sharply to relieve any binding. Make sure the u joint travels without any binding, it should move freely. If it doesn't, smack it again.

If you use greasable joints, MAKE SURE YOU GREASE THEM FULLY WHEN YOU INSTALL THEM. That means until grease purges from ALL FOUR CAPS. If you don't, it WILL fail prematurely.

When I install joints at work, I put them in a vice (to simulate the locating tabs on a yoke) and grease them until all four caps purge.

I personally don't use greasable joints, but if you do, grease them correctly upon installation!!